I Forge Iron

To buy or not to buy....that is the question.

I posted a while back about using railroad track as an anvil.  Last night while incessantly searching for used anvils for sale, I came across (for the 100th time) NC Anvil's 70# blacksmith anvil.  The anvil is like $270 and has free shipping.  Is this something I should buy?  Or should I just use railroad iron until I can get a 'real' anvil of 100+?  Everyone down here in Texas is selling anvils for like $5 a pound.  I have even tried searching in neighboring states to no avail.  I have the forge, a few hammers, am starting to make tongs this weekend.  The anvil is really the missing piece here.  

There is a thread on FB Anvil group about someone who just bought one of those NC farrier shaped anvils.  When he did a bearing test, the anvil dented.  Not a good indicator of a hard face. 

I would use the RR track for now, but keep searching for a "real" anvil, and keep some cash handy so you can act fast.

• I don't know about the one you are looking at but I got a brand new NC Cavalry anvil and I couldn't be happier with it. It is heavier than what you speak of at 112 lbs so that may make a difference. I found lots of beat up junk on the used market that was WAY over priced. Mine has super rebound and moves metal real well. It has lots of features that I personally really like, This is my two cents, I like the one I have others may not like the same anvil. I tried another anvil just yesterday that was marked like this: ACME 160LB 1951. It was poor in comparison to my NC but would be usable. Not all anvils with a certain name will be equal to each other is what I think, But I don't know that much. Happy hunting!

There are some things to think about searching for your anvil. First and I've said it too many times already but a "real anvil" is something you can do blacksmith's work on be it a boulder or the finest state of the art super anvil made by . . . whoever.

Anvil prices, we keep hearing folk howling about how expensive anvils or smithing tools in general are now days. Think about this: Do you want to work for 1990's, let alone 1860's wages? Hmmmmmm? And just look at IFI, almost every day someone new to the craft subscribes and starts looking for tools. Anvil prices like anything else not burdened by GVT "help" are driven by supply and demand. If nobody wanted them smithing tools would be cheap. . . Scrap iron cheap. Think post WWII, even after the steel drives during the war. Blacksmithing was a dead trade so the tools and equipment was headed to the scrapers with the buggy springs and horse plows.

Believe it or not I'll bet there are more working blacksmiths living in America now than ever before. Not professionals maybe but guys working the iron. Blacksmithing may not be industrial standard for steel forming but the desire for hand made or at least not factory pop out products is alive and thriving.

These are the good old days boys and girls, tools are expensive because they're being used. They're being used because people want the products, so if you have a fantasy about being a "real" blacksmith, this is your time. Do what you have to to get your kit together, develop your skills, a product line and get it on. Here's a little secret to think about. . . Oh okay, ANOTHER thing to think about. While you're bemoaning having to use that stinky old piece of RR rail instead of a "real" anvil you're developing skill and better yet (if you're serious about the craft) making things to sell so you can afford to buy a brand spanking NEW: Nimba, Peddinghaus, Refflighaus, Cliff Carol or. . . Anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Frosty,

All great points. I promise I am not bemoaning the use of a railroad track, however I am looking for that great find of a traditional anvil. I will absolutely use the time between now and then trying to develop this set of skills. I know that it takes an enormous amount of time to become better at this or anything for that matter, and there are people that probably wish they had a piece of track instead of what they are working on.

Please start going to every trade days on weekends within 100 miles( 2 hour drive) and ask every one selling old tools and don't forget the "old ladies" selling old stuff they are a gold mine those old women are probably better recourses!

I didn't realize till I just reread my post how it sounded like I was talking to you specifically. I was making more of a general statement to all the guys out there waiting for the real tools and got involved in my own thoughts.

There's no need to promise me anything I'm just an old duffer at the anvil. Heck, I spent a long time beating on whatever was handy while looking for a good anvil. I know how it is.

Frosty The Lucky.