I Forge Iron

New steel anvil stand with removable wheels

Wanted to share an anvil stand I built for a Hay Budden 162#  I found recently (for 300$). I looked at a lot of pictures of others stands and incorporated various details. The wheels are solid rubber from Harbor Freight (6$ each) and they slide into the tubing feet. I showed in the pics how the wheels can be placed inside (so I can take the stand through my 36" basement door) or outside for more stable carting. The anvil is secured to the stand with corner angle iron with a nut tacked to it and a short bolt (excuse the paint on the anvil - I got a tad carried away spray painting). I also bedded it in a layer of silicone calk. The bottom shelf is spaced 1 1/4" square to hold my hardies and various hammers etc. The hardy hole has a clear hole through the stand so items can be stood straight to the ground. I added the removable T-Handle welded onto a bolt for better control carting. Just need to do some dressing on the anvil and I'll be ready to go!IMG_0878.thumb.JPG.82deb134aea38a5931cb2IMG_0875.thumb.JPG.0e9212c1d82f0a284c10cIMG_0876.thumb.JPG.a34964a4334f628cfdc40IMG_0877.thumb.JPG.7f2f4d62790fe8b14053c

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Nice job on the anvil stand. Don't sweat a little paint on the anvil, it won't hurt it I promise. Heck, lots came painted from the maker.

You're going to dress your anvil? Are we talking clothes or cornbread and mushroom? Sorry, couldn't resist. Your anvil looks just fine as it is, edges look pretty clean. Clean enough but that's just me.

Sweet set up you have.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a nice looking roll around stand, should serve you well. Good looking anvil, too.  I think you did well on the purchase.

As a side note, looks like the shaft on that handle is pretty short.  A longer handle might keep you from having to bend over or lean forward to move it around, plus a round handle would be easier on the hands.  That Hay Budden will get mucho heavy moving around.  

Thanks for all the feedback. The silicone bedding and the bolts tight definitely reduces ring - I had thought about putting a lock washer on the nut - but I'll wait and see how much it loosens over time. I will also be drilling a small hole through the wheel and tubing foot for a retaining pin - when the wheels are placed on the inside position - they tend to slowly walk out while moving. At this point - I'm working outside my garage - rolling in and out only a short distance - 20-30 ft so the short T handle is manageable - I went with its size based on a bolt I had on hand and also so it is short enough to be stored on the hardy shelf. If I ever need to remove the anvil... I'll have to sacrifice the welded nuts and remove them with a cut off wheel. The stand is very stable - I honestly think this will be the permanent stand for a long time - and it was a lot of fun to fabricate. I'm also working on a propane forge built out of two pieces of 10" square tubing and a home built belt grinder - so stay tuned for more pics in the near future!

If I may, I like the wheals on the inside, so they are out of the way and can be left in place, that is if they just touch the ground and are fare enough back so you can tilt the anvil back on them. 

As to the handle, I would catch my shin or knee on the "T" handle, I would suggest a longer, removable handle.

That's a pretty neat design.  Removable wheels and t-handle are always a good idea, but I'm really digging that slotted table underneath.  I never would have though to do that, but I just might have to borrow the idea for my anvil stand!