I Forge Iron

Farriers Hawk

Great work, mate. The engraving of the horse is a nice touch.
I have dozens of those rasps and never made anything except file snakes out of them. Never thought of any kind of cutting tool. The ideas that come from this site are endless.

Nice to see another post from you Chris! Love the carving and the inlay, always top notch!
Seen a video by Gary Huston on You Tube where he made a "farriers ax", and explainded how they where used in the days when horses were used in battle, the ax would be used to finish off a wounded horse, and then to remove a hoof which was marked with the horses i.d. for record keeping. Thought is was interesting.

Thomas, my grandpa who lived in Silver City use to make spurs from rasps as well. Still have a pair, and a miniature pair he maid my son.

Great work, mate. The engraving of the horse is a nice touch.
I have dozens of those rasps and never made anything except file snakes out of them. Never thought of any kind of cutting tool. The ideas that come from this site are endless.

Hi ausfire thanks mate.

Chris

Nice to see another post from you Chris! Love the carving and the inlay, always top notch!
Seen a video by Gary Huston on You Tube where he made a "farriers ax", and explainded how they where used in the days when horses were used in battle, the ax would be used to finish off a wounded horse, and then to remove a hoof which was marked with the horses i.d. for record keeping. Thought is was interesting.

Thomas, my grandpa who lived in Silver City use to make spurs from rasps as well. Still have a pair, and a miniature pair he maid my son.

Hi mitch4ging thank you very much for that nice comment

appreciate .

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, That looks great! My son is very artistic and was wondering how you did the horse. You say a little bit of scratching. Would you please elaborate? Did you etch freehand or use a pattern? What tool do you use, do you use black paint or charcoal to highlight, etc. I don't do knives or axes so this may be common knowledge, I'm just not in that world. Thanks. Kent.

Hi Chris, That looks great! My son is very artistic and was wondering how you did the horse. You say a little bit of scratching. Would you please elaborate? Did you etch freehand or use a pattern? What tool do you use, do you use black paint or charcoal to highlight, etc. I don't do knives or axes so this may be common knowledge, I'm just not in that world. Thanks. Kent.

Hi Kent tell your son with whats in this pic just a simple hammer and chisel  you could make all your self for vertualy nothing  .

hammer i made from a piece of 52100 but any carbon steel will do . mild maybe a bit soft .handles from square stock ,

chisels are high speed steel  

best to draw out  pic first  then trace on because if you start drawing on the steel and your not quit centre  have to rub of and do again  and maybe again and again saves swearing lol

somtimes use gun blue in cuts and just clean surface off .hope this helps

Chris

post-25508-0-22097500-1424238204_thumb.j