I Forge Iron

Onee-san (big sister)

TheoRockNazz

Recently I wrapped up a similar W2 blade '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> that the customer decided halfway through he didn't like the triangulated guard and pommel. SO the old fittings went on a smaller blade, and I reprinted a smoother guard n pommel (I was dead-set on 3D printing the fittings on this girl). Ebony scales and brass pins.

14.625" OAL, 4.75" handle, 1/8" at guard with distal taper, 1.8125" at widest

post-25471-0-50582000-1421699068_thumb.jpost-25471-0-84964100-1421699083_thumb.jpost-25471-0-77295800-1421699052_thumb.j

The stepping on the printed components is quite visible on the curved surfaces. I flubbed up somethin good on the finish on two pins... at least they are both on one side so there's a pretty side haha

post-25471-0-95957900-1421699101_thumb.j

The guard and pommel were printed with cavities to reduce weight.

post-25471-0-47190300-1421699606_thumb.j

The color is an interesting mixture of the stainless steel powder and the bronze that is cast around it. Conveniently similar to brass.

Went with a smooth gradient of hamon clay, which was an error in retrospect because the blade is so wide the grain transition/boundary was spread out resulting in a BORING hamon... so I took the sanding a step back for a satin finish with hint of hamon ("satin finish with hint of hamon" sounds like a food).

Comments/critique encouraged :)

Theo

Very nice indeed, I'd say that description would be more like a beer or wine review.

I really like the look of the printed parts and the pitting on the blade goes well with it making it look "old" like a historical relic that has been preserved and in use again. However the grip looks totally "modern". I would probably have gone with a less buffed look to give the impression of "age"--- perhaps a light sandblasting of the wood before waxing or oiling.