I Forge Iron

cheap Trenton anvil

Last year,the shop where I work got invited to the local FFA appreciation lunch. They were selling off some old equipment from the school shop; arc welders,chop saws, drillpress, and "large anvil". The anvil was listed at $75, but wasn't in the building. I asked a student how big, with his hands he showed about 3 ft from tip of horn to the tail, and close to 2 ft tall. Sight unseen, I told the adivisor that I would take it and handed him the money. It was outback in a storage shed. I need to take some pics this afternoon, but I know that it's a Trenton 297 lbs and serial 204501. Also has a tag riveted to the base with a serial hammered out. The tag states that it was property of the US ammunitions plant in Grand Island, NE. Could anyone let me know the age?

Welcome aboard Exec guy, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

While it's a gut wrench to hear about ANOTHER school shop class being cleared out I'm glad the anvil's going to someone who'll use it.

Frosty The Lucky.

The money all goes to getting updated equipment. We are in a very small farm community, and the shop and again classes all get excellent support. Anywho, I've updated some of my profile info. I'm about 1hr east of grand island. Can't get photos to post from phone

selling off a Maserati to buy a Yugo?   Even as a method of getting new stuff they could have got US$500 for it and still had been a great deal and paid for a lot more new stuff.  $75 makes me wonder if they are suitable teachers of metalworking trades!

Anyway; GREAT DEAL, GREAT ANVIL go make GREAT THINGS ON IT!

I graduated from this school 12 years ago, and had shop all four years, and never saw the anvil. After asking many generations of graduates, the anvil has been in hiding since the 70's. Apparently they had some kids weld to the top of the 165# HB, so they hid this one, Then it got forgotten. They have a 175# anvil of unknown brand. The teachers that they have now, has no clue about anything other than modern fab and repairs.

Wow, great anvil score.

If that trenton was in my classroom I might hide it too! Or at least put a wooden top on it for protection. Right now I have what I think is a little peddinghaus anvil for my high school. That little guy might weigh 60 or 70 pounds. It is tough as nails and doesn't mind the kids taking a whack at it every now and then. Even though my school anvil is solid steel, when I demo with it I explain how anvils were made by forge welding a top onto the wrought iron. I explain that they are to be repected and used appropriately. I explain how hardened metals fracture and chip when struck together. Then I show them how to do forge out a few items. Before I let them work I call a random kid up to give it a try and prove that They learned something. Then it never fails sometime in the future I will hear a kid go over, pick up a hammer and give it a whack -just to hear it ring! I am hoping sometime in the future they take a chunk off of it so I can buy a new bigger one. What will probably happen first will be a rebounding hammer hitting a kid as that anvil is tough. I do warn them of that, it is on the safety test and but they are a lot shorter than I am.

Greetings 67,

Now that's an anvil you will enjoy for years to come....  Just so happen I have her sister and she has served my well for a long time..  All tool steel top with a belt line weld.   They only made a few over 300 lbs..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-22875200-1421110549_thumb.p

post-30666-0-47182400-1421110609_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

What a beautiful anvil! She looks like she's barely broken in. I love the lines on Trenton's, sweeping and majestic, narrow waist. Quite sexy really. Nice score.

Is there any way I could get someone with AIA to date this Trenton? A17333. I would really appreciate it.