I Forge Iron

Advice? Forging a round stock cross

Kinda looking for some ideas. I'm working on a project and I want to make some crosses out of round 9/16" 1018 steel. When planning I was looking to drill a hole about 1/2" in diameter through the upright and draw it out to 9/16 with a drift then press my cross piece in, I was thinking much more artistically than practically. I neglected the dynamics of how little steel I'd have to draw. I then started thinking about making 2 cross pieces and turning the insides to a smaller diameter and pressing in.

Anyone have any thoughts as to an apealing look or technique? would it be possible to draw the hole out that big starting with a smaller diameter? Any ideas?

Thanks!   

post-30151-64776_thumb.jpg

You could do it by slitting and drifting... but I'd suggest making a Frederick's style split cross instead. No way could you drill and drift! Lots of info here on the Frederick's style crosses! They are much easier than a two piece cross and can be adapted to quite a variety of sizes and styles with a little imagination! Good experience for beginning smiths!

slit and drift is the best way to put a 9/16" hole in a 9/16" bar ;)  you can also upset the slit location before or after to pick up some extra mass at the join.  have you already planned for how to keep the through piece from slipping out?

Heat and over lap the two bars and then using half round top and bottom tooling set them into each other. Then drill a hole through both and rivet---perhaps with copper to add in a decorative aspect or a similar steel if you want the rivet to "disappear"---counter sink the hole and then dress the rivet smooth with the surface.

Coincidentally I toyed with this same concept over the holidays, I was at a Christmas Eve service at a church I'd never visited before, saw the most interesting cross shaped like a shepherds croook with a cross piece.  Wanted to replicate it but couldn't figure out exactly the best way to do the cross piece, just like midnightblue here, so I'm following this conversation carefully. 

Greetings 69,
You might try an upset at the normal opening than forge that portion square to form the open look. The round stock should blend in well at the opening. The other option is split and drift.. Just my 2c
Forge on and make beautiful things
Jim

Depending on the stock lenght, you might consider simply "out lining" the cross to say figure one peice of stock twice the length of the combined with and hight, bend in half, to form the top branch, forge two 90's and fold back to form the side branches, and two parelel 90's to form the lower branch. This alows you several options at this point. You can (and i think you should) put a twist in each branch. You also have the tips and the center that can be worked as decretive elements, say melted marbels (bolders?) maybe copper, brass, wood, open air?