I Forge Iron

H. Elwell Gunsmith Personal Peter Wright Anvil Purchased Today

Today I purchased two more anvils for the collection: A pre 1852 Peter Wright and a nice farrier anvil that I have yet to identify. The Peter Wright is marked "P WRIGHT WARRANTED" and a unique marking on the back "MADE FOR H.ELWELL". Still researching this, but it appears H. Elwell was a gunsmith and lockmaker (gun lock). The Peter Wright bears the pre 1852 mark. Has anyone else seen a Peter Wright marked like this? I paid $50 each.

post-46213-0-15098800-1419899916_thumb.j

post-46213-0-06065600-1419899950_thumb.j

post-46213-0-12140000-1419899981_thumb.j

post-46213-0-38716300-1419900005_thumb.j

post-46213-0-32864200-1419900032_thumb.j

post-46213-0-56216200-1419900054_thumb.j

I have a few axe heads made by a firm called Elwell. They were always highly prized by the timber fallers who worked in the local Estate woods. I always had the idea that they were a Black Country firm. Stourbridge, Belbroughton, Kidderminster or similar. I don't recall there being an initial stamped on the axes. Is the gunsmith you tracked down British or USA? It is a fairly unusual name so as they are both working with hot metal they could well be associated/related.

Alan

Alan, that is very interesting. Most resources point to Henry Elwell as being a gunsmith in Ohio, although some sources lists him as an English riflemaker. I think the latter is also plausable. Henry Elwell of England was a gunmaker from 1837-1858 in Birmingham England, which is very close to Dudley, where Peter Wrights were forged. I am prone to believe that this anvil was purchased by the Elwell gunsmith or gunmaker because Peter Wright did not custom make anvils for any old Joe. It appears that I may have an exclusively stamped "MADE FOR" anvil, unless someone else has seen one elsewhere. A second thought that I have had is that the anvil may have been made for an "H. Elwell" in England, where it would have been more feasable to take custom anvil orders. Perhaps it was sold at a later date and brought over the pond to be used in the USA. I may never know for sure.

I have just been looking up the Elwell company and they evidently were a huge concern for a couple of centuries. Originally a family firm for two or four generations. At one time they were making guns. They have recently been doing an archaeological dig on part of the site (which was still going in 2005) and they have found loads of gun flints. So even if your gunsmith was born and bred American there could well be a family link at some point.

Interesting anvil history whatever the truth!

Alan

• 4 weeks later...