I Forge Iron

Finally got my double horn

Hi guys - I've been looking for a double horn for about a year now. Passed up on a couple for a few reasons and missed out on a bargain at one point. But I spotted this in the background of a picture of another anvil that was for sale. Must have been meant to be as the price was just right - £200

10428586_10154903184375655_8030160436350

10846161_10154903184960655_3615722276105

I had a very good friend of mine pick it up and it sat at his place for a few months before I could go and get it. Stupidly I didn't take any more pictures before I had to go back offshore again. 

The feet suggest a Peter Wright to me but I can't make out any markings at all. Theres a few faint marks but thats it. It's certainly a forged body though and you can make out quite a thick plate on the top. 

Face and edges are in pretty good nick. Actually the edges are darn near pristine to be honest. 

Well chuffed that I finally have one and looking forward to cleaning her up properly. 

Interestingly the hardy hole is blocked about 3/4 of the way down. It looks like the bottom of the hardy hole is round... Or certainly looks that way. I'll be drilling out the plug when I get back ashore. 

All the best 

Andy

Dog, yup thats the base for a big bick alright. I didn't buy it though as the seller was asking wayyyy too much for it. He's also got a 20" square swage block but it's for sale at £350 which is too rich for me. 

Frosty - not sure on the weight. I couldn't make out any markings on it at all. The dimensions are roughly the same as my other PW which is 262lbs. Best guess for this one would be the 200-250lbs range. 

All the best 

Andy

I appreciate those pictures are really naff but sadly I can't get any more until I get ashore and go visit my folks.... 

But, would anyone have any ideas if this could be a Swedish anvil? 

The over all shape to me suggested a Peter Wright, but it has no handling holes in the very base of the feet; something I'd expect to see. I didn't notice a casting line either. I couldn't see any markings on either side of it at all. I know PW's can have very a very faint stamp but still. 

Could this be a Swedish anvil - sodefors or paragon perhaps? 

There also seems to be a lot of confusion about the pattern of this anvil as well.

Once I get home I'll give it a good wire brush and flour treatment. 

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get some slightly better pics. It has virtually no markings I can see at all. Clearly forged though as it has handling holes on the body. I can't see any obvious identifying features either. 

IMG_0538_JPG.jpg

IMG_0539_JPG.jpg

It has obviously been left outside with severe pitting from rust, similar to my other anvil but in far worse condition. The face plate seems to be pretty thick so I may well sand it down again. But it's going to be a big job. As ever I'll get it in use before I make any decision on that front. 

Notice the seam just above the hardy hole. Looks like a weld line between two face plates to me. 

IMG_0540_JPG.jpg

The pits aren't as deep as they were on my PW but they are fare more numerous.  - Edges are more shiny from the wire wheel treatment - they are not welded up. 

It's a good size at over 30" long but weighs less than my big PW at 231lbs. 

IMG_0541_JPG.jpg

The only marking on the body of the anvil I can see. It appears to be a C on it's side. I suspect it should have been a "0" but it is odd that it is sideways. It's stamped quite deeply so you would think any other stamps would show up but I can see nothing at all. 

IMG_0543_JPG.jpg

Here you can see the handling hole on the very base of the anvil. Notice how off centre it is. 

IMG_0544_JPG.jpg

And finally it's most unique feature - this is taken from underneath the horn. The lower hole is from the hardy hole which starts square and tapers to a round hole. Which is plugged. I tried drilling and hammering the plug but it wouldn't budge so I'll be having another go at it when I can in a few weeks. I suspect I'll need to soak it in penetrating oil and do some more drilling to get it out. 

IMG_0545_JPG.jpg

Does anyone know of a maker that had this kind of hardy hole? I know Peddinghaus are known to do this, however this anvil is clearly not German. 

All the best 

Andy

Several reasons actually,

No handling hole in the base of the feet (Central under the horn / heel)
No stamp on the feet from the forge team - that I can see.
I know PW stamps could be very faint at times but I can't even see the shadow of a makers mark, let alone anything as extensive as the PW stamps.

I know there's hundreds of British makers tht could have made this so it seems unlikely we'll figure it out. That said, the tapered hardy must be pretty unusual?

Andy

I have had a couple of these  forge welded double  pointy anvils in the past  and they match exactly my JB cast double pointy ones almost to the mm. so I recon they may be pre casting  brooks. or not? 

either ay they are a good shaped anvil.

Must say I have never made a study of anvils. Just worked with what I had. But the anvil I have used most of my working life turned out to be a Peter Wright. I bought it quite by chance.

For what it is worth my Peter Wright does have a hardy hole just like yours with a round bottom end. I think it is probably just a function of the position of the hole nearer the body going through the thicker material of the flat beak than on a London pattern.

Alan
post-9203-0-60828700-1420574077_thumb.jp

I have had a couple of these  forge welded double  pointy anvils in the past  and they match exactly my JB cast double pointy ones almost to the mm. so I recon they may be pre casting  brooks. or not? 
 either ay they are a good shaped anvil.

That might not be a bad idea actually. The only forged Brooks I've seen was very lightly stamped.

Who ever made it I'm well chuffed. Great ring and rebound.

Andy