I Forge Iron

Paragon

For those who may be interested, I received this Paragon today. It is a beautifully shaped "London pattern anvil, forged with one handling hole in the waist. On the side, it is stamped, "PARAGON SWEDEN" and "103 POUNDS." You'll note that it has the two flat steps on the base that we often associate with only Peter Wrights.

post-74-0-46374000-1417835393_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-16407200-1417835420_thumb.jpg

For those who may be interested, I received this Paragon today. It is a beautifully shaped "London pattern anvil, forged with one handling hole in the waist. On the side, it is stamped, "PARAGON SWEDEN" and "103 POUNDS." You'll note that it has the two flat steps on the base that we often associate with only Peter Wrights.

After looking at your post I'm wondering if I had correctly identified my recent acquisention. I had posted it here under the Sonderfors page but it sure looks like your Paragon. The stamping on my 257lbs anvil is pretty weak at best. I can pick out "Sweden" and the weight stamps and nothing much else.post-35726-0-12721300-1417847710_thumb.j

The Paragon is apparently a brand name applied to more recently made Soderfors anvils. It's the same company. Some of their anvils are trademarked "Soderfors." Some of their anvils have both Soderfors and Paragon markings. It is unclear to me the reasoning behind all of this. It is also unclear to Postman* whether the anvils are cast or forged. In the case of my pictured one, I assume it is forged because of the handling hole in the waist.

If I were to guess, the name "Paragon" may have been chosen to better market the anvils in the 20th century, to the Brits and North Americans. It is an English word and the anvils are English styled.

*"Anvils in America"