I Forge Iron

What type of grinder best for shaping n removing metal as with fine details n such?

Hey guys n ladies out there in Smithland,,, I am finding very little info with best techniques n hand n foot controlled grinding. As it would be used to give great detail n relief to forged creations I have planned.
Such features as feathers n leafs n things along those areas.

Any ideas or suggestions n thoughts be most appreciated n look forward to visiting with anyone here at iforgeiron,,, I'm really not a junkyard dog just cuz I look n smell like one,,, Smile. Ty

If you read a bit of our forum here, you may find your answer already posted in one of the existing threads.   For example we have an entire section here all about machinery, and a few threads there already about grinders.    I will relocate this post of yours from the sales section.

if you are trying to incise details with a grinder then a die grinder with carbide burs.  If you are grinding surfaces then a good belt grinder with a wide range of contact wheels, the ability to do slack belt grinding a patten, etc

Most people I know do NOT use grinders to pattern feathers and leaves save possibly an angle grinder to incise edges on blanks before forging.

I'd suggest finding someone who is doing what *YOU* want  to do and ask them about their tooling.

Thanks for the info, n roger that,,, As being a man, I lack some patience in the investigation category. laughin. Where's the mustard n the catsup has always been there? Oh, hmmmn there it is right infront of myself,,, Smile
N I guess this post will also need to be reposted within the correct parameterized lz n fob,,, Yes, thats a joke.Smile
As I may as well use it as such for an introduction of sorts. Thank you all. As I am honored to be among you,,,

I should have looked harder here n will certainly take the advise n acknowledgement of intel,,, N I do agree with such n stand corrected as well. I just thought I'd ask openly n obtain the lastest tooling methods n such. As I am not a seasoned Smith as many of you seem to be currently.

Most of my hands on in the forging of iron, was n had been limited. N strictly dealt with differences of forging techniques n their uses of horseshoes made from stock. Balanced gaits n prevention of lamenesses with horses. N 30 some years ago too.

N actually had gotten to the point, where I personally felt histological farrier practices were contributing lamnesses in horses. N I realize that subject isn't itself combined with Smith Artesian discussion here per se.
Although, historically,,, Most n if not all. Those employed n apprentices of blacksmithing trade, 1st required All Blacksmiths abled to also be a farrier themselves n some Wheelwrights ect. N being a well seasoned farrier, not quite as simplistical a process in nature as it may appear to some.
As some of us had to be certified n insured, as some horses were valued into the millions a few times,,, N I always sweated heavily regardless, yet moreso at times.

N must be very boring n simplistic to master Smiths out there perhaps? Yet I feel we are all learning everday n those whom aren't?
I bow to one knee n hold up n extend a Smiths Hammer to show my willingness to learn from a Master Smith,,, Smile

I don't want to project an arrogance behavioral stance, yet have worked with several very gifted people. Whom were masters of knowledge in their deployment of expertise. N if the average lay person n others knew of what technology we have inrelation of ISS above us. Most would literally loose personal movement in their drawers per se.
N I'll stand corrected any day, but bullied I will not,,,
I am sorry that I didn't apply myself to the task of searching for the technical n related advise from smiths throughout the world basically.
As I joined this site to learn, share thoughts n exchange knowledge n view the awesome work. As every one of us have something to contribute at some point.

Anyhow, perhaps I am allowing stress to be a factor n many times words are taken out of a contextual metaphor stance,,, N if so, I apologize. I just have a enormous desire to learn by doing, n I obviously have very dumb questions to ask.
I personally admire very much, a person whom can create from a natural occurring earthly ore substance. N after modernization processes from very long ago practice.
N blessed with modern refinement of such materials today. Then forge n create a sensational piece of art,,, Wow, is all I am able to express n praise the forgers skills. As I also seek such for myself,,,

N I unfortunately don't currently have abundance of those skills. Yet, I do have a sincere n extreme interests n desire to obtain that abundance. N perhaps one day, I will be allowed to regroup as I say,,, Anyhow, no harm taken nor given n we all will forge onward,,, Thanks n I do look forward to meeting those whom want n share this awesome trade themselves.
Forge On My Brothers n Sisters,,, Ty

I am not sure why you felt a need to share commentary about your bowel movements, or why you followed that comment with a statement about being bullied.    I do not see anywhere that could be seen as bulling, can you explain yourself?  we run a family friendly G rated forum, there is no bulling allowed.

Also try some WD-40 on your 'N' key, it makes it very to read, and impossible for the language translators, we have 150 countries here, many do not speak english and with out the translator, can not follow posts. 

(Insert faverit explitive) Fosty, you have been dethroned for wordieness! We have a cowboy poet among us!
I take a middle ground to the practice of farriery, a sho is a theropuduc apliance and if used as such is a good thing. Overuse, misuse and abuse not withstanding.
As to the grinding of leaves and fethers? File and chisel.

Historically a lot of smiths existed before they even used shoes on horses, and blacksmithing was not combined with farrier work in most cities over the centuries---or were you referring to the USA during the 19th century as "historically" and not including the rest of the world and 2000 odd years? (When folks use the term "traditionally" WRT smithing they often mean the USA during the 19th century---and often the latter half of the 19th century...that's "modern times" to me as I'm interested in Y1K smithing.)

BTW you may want to search on "texturing" as there are some neat homemade tools for that around. As mentioned die grinders with burrs will allow you to carve steel and I have seen intricate work even done with a re-purposed cord driven dentists drill.