I Forge Iron

Question for the experienced, anvil build

The great thing about this craft of blacksmithing is that for thousands of years we have been free to innovate and experiment. Everyone has their own personal ideas of what works, of what might work, and what to avoid. Go ahead and continue your experimentation. Nothing to loose except some of your time, but that is more than offset by what you gain in knowledge.

That's what I'm thinkin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I Never said it would or wouldn't be dead

Well the face is welded and it's not dead by any means. This video was taken with it sitting on a table. I can only assume that it will be even better after its mounted on a solid base.

Sorry but there is no way it is anything other than dead. 

As I said previously the laws of physics were not suspended for you.

I am not 'trolling' 

I am keeping a thread accurate for those who don't know better. 

The rest of the web is already full of misinformation, we don't need it here.

Earlier the cutting shelf and face plate step where mentioned, the biggest advantages to this is it diagonal punching/slitting of square stock (from the corner) or the slitting/punching of round with out a bottom swage.I find it useful for square bends as well. One is less likely to impart twist.
Not a big fan of perimeter welding myself, but if you think of power hammer and hardy hole tooling it certainly has presidence.

Sorry but there is no way it is anything other than dead.

As I said previously the laws of physics were not suspended for you.

I am not 'trolling'

I am keeping a thread accurate for those who don't know better.

The rest of the web is already full of misinformation, we don't need it here.

Again why don't you reserve judgement until it's complete and then you can see for yourself.
This anvil us sitting in my garage not yours. You have no idea what it does or doesn't do. Purely speculation on your part. There's no misinformation. read the whole thread

100% agree with you Woodweavil.  You do your experimenting and build your anvil.  I stand by my statement in post #51.  If we never try new things, nothing new would ever be found.  

100% agree with you Woodweavil.  You do your experimenting and build your anvil.  I stand by my statement in post #51.  If we never try new things, nothing new would ever be found.  

What makes you think it's new? 

Like I said in the previous post. If you would read the entire thread you would see that I'm not claiming some miraculous new process. Only that I am trying something, if it works it works if it don't I'll cut it off and do it differently. It's completely my perogitive.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but rather, support the OP. I made an anvil following a similar path. Its CNC cut from mild steel. I didn't hard-face it; I just depend on the flame hardened surface. From what I have observed from the video, It doesn't appear the least dead. Its got a far sight more rebound than my mild steel and regardless of what many may think, It's not dead either. It's of course, not as springy as my old Trenton, but I have put a few miles on it and I am very happy with the results. It has a couple dings due to learning curves but 7018 is a wonderful ding fixer-upper (If I ever decide I need to fix it) ;)

post-14552-0-57522000-1419633127_thumb.j

If you would like to see more pics of it and the method I used for the hardy hole, it is in the "Show me you anvil" thread; page 22, post #425. 

To those that insist I have wasted my time and built a dead anvil, I say, opinions are like arm pits; we all have them and most of them stink :D Its my anvil and you don't have to use it. In fact I probably wouldn't let you B) Great work Woodweavil!

Scott

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but rather, support the OP. I made an anvil following a similar path. Its CNC cut from mild steel. I didn't hard-face it; I just depend on the flame hardened surface. From what I have observed from the video, It doesn't appear the least dead. Its got a far sight more rebound than my mild steel and regardless of what many may think, It's not dead either. It's of course, not as springy as my old Trenton, but I have put a few miles on it and I am very happy with the results. It has a couple dings due to learning curves but 7018 is a wonderful ding fixer-upper (If I ever decide I need to fix it) ;)

shop 015 (2).jpg

If you would like to see more pics of it and the method I used for the hardy hole, it is in the "Show me you anvil" thread; page 22, post #425.

To those that insist I have wasted my time and built a dead anvil, I say, opinions are like arm pits; we all have them and most of them stink :D Its my anvil and you don't have to use it. In fact I probably wouldn't let you B) Great work Woodweavil!

Scott

Thanks Scott, nice lookin anvil. I would very much like to see more on your anvil.

Most Excellent Anvil Build Brother Woodweavil,

Here is a link to/about your "Top Plate Steel AR400" http://cliftonsteel.com/tensalloy-ar400.html

** Note: I still utilize steel from this Company when certain projects Call for Mill Spec Armor Plate for many of my Clientele for their Safety.

I have used it many times , in many different thickness, in many applications to up armor a massive Fleets, Brigades, Battalions,Tons  of vehicles. the only difference is we had to also Plug weld them and do a perimeter weld to the base steel or the hanger plate that was to be installed on the vehicles . Yes some were even packed with explosives to explode out so the round would not enter the vehicles that troops were in , they work every time and saved many lives.

Physics state a feather weighs less than lead ! However, IF you have 1000 LB of Feathers & 1000LB of lead what ones weigh more? Neither they Both Weigh the same 1000 LB . Physics did Not change the weight of either even though they are made of different things . 

So , Your project does Not defy physics it is Physics ! it is the Physics of Armor Plate that will allow you to achieve what you have done. you are using a type of "Armor Plate " and have attached it to a Solid Base by the means of welding . if you have been successful in your per- tension of the Armor plate and the 100% penetration weld to bond the two metals together you will have a very Fine Anvil that should have an Excellent rebound with even a one (1) inch Ball bearing of any type of steel.    

Awesome Project Brother

Best Regards and Blessings

Ret, Sgt. Robert D. Yates

Thank you sir, and thank you for your service to our country and our troops. As for defying physics I wasn't suggesting that. Simply did everything I could to insure success except fully weld the plate. The slight bow worked in my favor. I milled the surface of the body as well as the plate on a surface grinder.

Woodweavil,

It sounds like you have done everything possible to ensure a perfect bond. I believe you will be very happy with your anvil when you finally get to forging projects on it .  I look forward to seeing some of them as well .

Good Luck, Blessings, & Best Regards Brother.

Ret, Sgt. Robert Yates

Woodweavil,

It sounds like you have done everything possible to ensure a perfect bond. I believe you will be very happy with your anvil when you finally get to forging projects on it .  I look forward to seeing some of them as well .

Good Luck, Blessings, & Best Regards Brother.

Ret, Sgt. Robert Yates

actually there is zero bond except at the weld and physics is a little more complex than a child's riddle about lead and feathers.

Artfist, I believe what the good Brother Robert is saying, is that its as perfect as it could be under the circumstances. (Of course we live in an imperfect world so this is what we have to work with) As I understand it, Its sprung in a manner that there would be as strong of contact of the two surfaces that is physically possible without an actual forged weld. One might think my power hammer with nineteen 1.25" stacked discs as the anvil would be dead as a doornail but there are processes to ensure as good a "bond" (albeit not as perfect as a solid mass) as 19 stacked discs can get. If it was dead, I should not have been able to feel the shock on my hand at one end while tapping on the other. It actually rang :) I am happy with what I had available to me. I bet Woodweavil's is much more solid than this. We could continue to split hairs or we could accept that he is satisfied with his endeavour. The horse is dead and I, for one am going to get another Christmas cookie before they are all gone and sit back and envision whirled peas for the New Year :)

Scott

actually there is zero bond except at the weld and physics is a little more complex than a child's riddle about lead and feathers.

IF you actually understood the physical properties of Armor Plate and what happen when Woodweavil added a prespring / Pre-sprung it and surfaced the anvil in a concave and clamped it down and welded it around the outer edge It Did Bond the Top plate rather well forcing ALL the air out Creating a Vacuum Bond when he welded it together that is why it Rings like it does in the Video. I do NOT know what in your Life that has happen to you Brother that has Made You So Sour at Folks or that stole your happiness, that you Feel the Need to take it out on some people ? However , I Am Going to do one thing for You Brother Arftist.I hope you do not get mad at me for it. In your Name I pray Aman ! 

With Love Through Christ Your Brother Ret,Sgt. Robert D. Yates

Artfist, I believe what the good Brother Robert is saying, is that its as perfect as it could be under the circumstances. (Of course we live in an imperfect world so this is what we have to work with) As I understand it, Its sprung in a manner that there would be as strong of contact of the two surfaces that is physically possible without an actual forged weld. One might think my power hammer with nineteen 1.25" stacked discs as the anvil would be dead as a doornail but there are processes to ensure as good a "bond" (albeit not as perfect as a solid mass) as 19 stacked discs can get. If it was dead, I should not have been able to feel the shock on my hand at one end while tapping on the other. It actually rang :) I am happy with what I had available to me. I bet Woodweavil's is much more solid than this. We could continue to split hairs or we could accept that he is satisfied with his endeavor. The horse is dead and I, for one am going to get another Christmas cookie before they are all gone and sit back and envision whirled peas for the New Year :)

Scott

Yes , Brother Scott that is the concept of just what did happen, whether he intended it to or not it worked out for the best and created a vacuum and bonded the top when he welded the top to the Anvil base giving the Ring you hear in the Video.

Armor Plate Is Fun to play with in may aspects .

Ret, Sgt. Robert Yates 

IF you actually understood the physical properties of Armor Plate and what happen when Woodweavil added a prespring / Pre-sprung it and surfaced the anvil in a concave and clamped it down and welded it around the outer edge It Did Bond the Top plate rather well forcing ALL the air out Creating a Vacuum Bond when he welded it together that is why it Rings like it does in the Video. I do NOT know what in your Life that has happen to you Brother that has Made You So Sour at Folks or that stole your happiness, that you Feel the Need to take it out on some people ? However, I Am Going to do one thing for You Brother Arftist.I hope you do not get mad at me for it. In your Name I pray Aman !  

With Love Through God Your Brother Ret,Sgt. Robert D. Yates

Yes , Brother Scott that is the concept of just what did happen, whether he intended it to or not it worked out for the best and created a vacuum and bonded the top when he welded the top to the Anvil base giving the Ring you hear in the Video.

Armor Plate Is Fun to play with in may aspects .

Ret, Sgt. Robert Yates

Amen Brother!