I Forge Iron

Rebound test

Often suggested but I didn't have the "one inch steel ball". Found them at VXB bearings; they're called "loose bearing balls".

post-55627-0-79989500-1408669794_thumb.j

Yes, I've seen the test description at anvilfire. Performing the test by myself is silly. Candid camera footage. What is a good method of measuring the rebound? My Hay-Budden is scoring between 120% and 60% so far.

Video is a great way to be able to see things when working by yourself. You can set up the camera to film against a back drop that allows you to make note of how high the ball bounces. It could be as simple as a sheet of paper with some lines drawn on it.

I made my scleroscope using a 1/2" ball bearing and some 1" rigid clear plastic aquarium tubing. I made it 20in long and marked it every 2". Make sure the bottom cut is perpendicular. You just hold the bottom against the anvil face drop the bearing into the top and see how high it bounces, each mark is 10%
With this your not chasing the bearing across the floor and can examine specific areas on the face.
I can usually see a change in rebound from the center vs the edges and vs the heel.

I know its total overkill but gotta do something over the long winter when its too cold outside.

Everybody always says a 1" ball bearing but I dont know any reason why a smaller one wouldn't work

I use a 1/2" bearing. I think the 1" thing came about do to the "more is better" effect. I don't drop from very high either, a foot is about max. You're only looking for an eyeball guesstimate of the percent of rebound, not scientific data points. Then again a using a scleroscope has such a very cool, almost steampunk sound to it I may have to make one just for cool.

If I'm not sure I hold the bearing against my hand with my thumb in the crook of the joint. I hold my hand so the bearing is about two hand lengths above the anvil and gauge it's rebound against my hand as it bounces. If it doesn't make it to my finger tip it's 50%- if it makes it back to my first knuckle it's pushing 90%. Well, that's the rough estimate, for closer use a ruler and drop it from 10".

Still, a scleroscope just sounds so cool. <sigh> Please bring that thing with you next meeting you make please.

Frosty The Lucky.

The clear tubing is the answer. It was the chasing the ball around the floor part that was "unique". And I have a DIRT floor. Perhaps the larger diameter 1" averages out surface irregularities? Plenty heavy, though. Could use as a pocket penetrometer on cast iron anvils.

Maybe Bob, easy is just so . . . easy. I sometimes think it's the quest for certainty a world of approximation. In Dad's shop we dealt with tolerances in the 100,000ths. on a regular basis, sometimes in single place mils. I grew up with scientific exacts and the eyeball approximation of blacksmithing is what drew me. Oh okay, it's the playing with fire and hitting things too.

In a world of instruments that can measure the unevenness of atoms I find methods by eye, feel and ear satisfying on a soul deep level. I don't need a couple generations of electronics to do for me, I can find what I need in ditches, dumps and trash bin and I can build a fire out of whatever's available and use a couple rocks to make things people will buy. Sure I take advantage of all the cool stuff available today (we're talking aren't we?) I just don't depend on it for my life and living. Feels pretty good.

Frosty The Lucky.