I Forge Iron

Scrapyard day in Fayetteville, TN

Any one near Fayetteville, TN if you have not been to Park City recycling you should. I just came back with a bag of RR spikes, one track tie plate, two things that look like REALLY big pins like you would have to hitch up a equipment trailer and what I think is some part of a forklift tine. 98lbs $29.00. They had a bunch more of the tie down plates and more spikes as well. 
Park City Recycling
19 Airport Road
Fayetteville, TN 37334
(931) 433-9300

One more thing, stop at "The Junque Yard" the guy there is starting out as a hobby smith and he turned me on to the scrap yard so show them some IFI love. 
1627 Huntsville Hwy Fayetteville, Tennessee 37334

Grooming a scrapyard so that they *smile* when they see you and even will set stuff aside for you is well worth the time and trouble! Doughnuts, showing them what you have done with the stuff you get from them, talking with the workers, ALWAYS asking first! Wearing boots and gloves and I like to wear a bright red hat so I'm easy to spot. Not getting in their way. Not trying to talk down the price from scrap levels... *cheerfully* tossing stuff back on the pile if they want too much for it, (ie above scrap price...)

Thomas, 

I agree 100%/ This guy had a fill set (2) forklift times in great shape he would have taken $50,00 for. Since 2 tines would easily equal 2+ plate anvils and I do not know how many tools that is a good deal. Some things you can find on Craigslist but they are just not worth what they want on Craigslist. Good to be known as a guy that is good to see and not a guy they only want around so he can buy stuff. 

Hey Ess, just noticing the spike offer, sure I'll buy some off of ya at forge council if I don't score some myself first. I already scheduled an afternoon off this week to take advantage of the beautiful weather and grab some extra forge time, but now I'm thinking a drive to Fayetteville sounds good.

Well since you already gave me some flat bar I will give you some spikes. See you in at the meeting one way or the other. In one of the parts marked for structural steel is a drive chain where the links must be 10" apart. I wish I had the saw to cut them up but I do not.

post-35414-0-57911000-1408036235_thumb.p

Because they are tangled up in a pile with (I kid you not) tons of steel. I saw them at the scrap yard, I did not see a way to get them out of the scrap yard with out an Oxy cutting rig. Also, I think I am giving you the wrong idea about the size of the chain, think Terminator 2 in the steel mill where he gets his arm trapped in the convener chain. The pitch between each link had to be 10". If you could get some out each plate would be many knives. Think the type of roller chain in escalators. That having been said hot cutting would be an option if you had a short (one or two) sections.

Eric, 

One other problem I have been having with hot cutting is since I lack a hardy in my rail anvil I have not been able to rig a good enough hot cut setup. We are doing smithing magicians at the Athens Forge meeting this month so once I make some cutoff dies for the smithing magician and I have it bolted down to something heavy that should be a bit easier. I plan to take some rail plate I got at the yard and make a poor man's hardy out of it and a big stump.