I Forge Iron

New Stack - Thoughts on how to tie into?

I just erected 24' tall 12" diameter stack for my forge.  I am tired of all the smoke swirling randomly about.   24 Feet is possibly overly tall...  I hope not.  It all came together from thinking to hard for too dang long then  finally deciding and moving forward.   So the stack is up, and it is of spiral construction.   I think you can see how it is secured and where my forge is.   The forge is off center from the stack.  I wanted that so longer items could go through the center of the forge and not hit the stack.  

My question is...   Do you have any thoughts on how to tie into this stack?   I am thinking sort of side draft forge stack, but the spirals complicate a bit for a good seal...  

Plus what size hole to make?  

Normally I would like to have a good plan before getting this carried away.   But I got tired of decision constipation and a 24' spiral galvy stack came available and the labor and help to erect it came available and there it is.   any comments or experience would be welcome.  I have more pics if that is helpful.

post-16782-0-41466500-1407202209_thumb.j

post-16782-0-29496700-1407202197_thumb.j

First I would cut a disc to use as a template.  The diameter would be the OD of the crimped end of the flue pipe coming from the forge.  A foot or so below the roof structure I would mark the corrugated pipe using the template and a felt pen.  Then I would cut the corrugated pipe opening erroring to the small side.  Stick your flue together and try it.  If it works screw it together using some 90 degree brackets where the flue enters the corrugated pipe.  If your fit is fairly close there shouldn't be a problem.  If it is a bit sloppy you can use some of that heat resistant tape sold for sealing gas fired appliance flues.  Home Depot probably carries it.

I would suggest 3 lines to support the stack and to control its height in wind etc.  Plan things together out of cardboard to be sure everything fits before you start cutting. 

Good composition in the nice self portrait located in the window next to the blower..

We do not miss much  (grin)

No Glenn, that's a ghost!

I think I'd tie into the culvert with a horizontal box section like Uri Hofi's side draft. (Is it the "super sucker?") Anyway, his set up draws like a champ and will work a treat just tied into the vertical culvert where it's convenient to the forge.

If you're in a high wind area use the steel tubing guy members. They're easy to install, sheet metal or wood screws and they're not going to need tightening like wires. Most folk over tighten guy wires and that can really mess things up, especially if one breaks.

Oh I almost forgot to render my opinion. I think that stack is really going to SUCK.

Frosty The Lucky.

No Glenn, that's a ghost!

I think I'd tie into the culvert with a horizontal box section like Uri Hofi's side draft. (Is it the "super sucker?") Anyway, his set up draws like a champ and will work a treat just tied into the vertical culvert where it's convenient to the forge.

If you're in a high wind area use the steel tubing guy members. They're easy to install, sheet metal or wood screws and they're not going to need tightening like wires. Most folk over tighten guy wires and that can really mess things up, especially if one breaks.

Oh I almost forgot to render my opinion. I think that stack is really going to SUCK.

Frosty The Lucky.

My guy  wires are actually galvy 1/2" pipe.    I only had two decent places to guy wire to and from assuming ideal would be 120 degrees apart around the whole diameter.    Unless I stick a third wire in the yard in front of the pic which I do not desire.   So instead of wires I wanted rigid poles that could push back as well as pull.   And yes I am in a high wind area in Southern Louisiana, to say the least.   When the hurricanes come.  In Baton Rouge we don't see the full force but in 22 years here I have probably lost 15+ trees, been out of electricity for a total of 22+ days during three different hurricane events.   It is a real mess.   AND the prime time for the worst hurricanes is now and the next 30-60 days.   This stack has the two poles shown, plus cemented at the bottom plus secured at the roof line shown though this is relatively low to the ground.   I am not making any guarantees about hurricane resistance...   

But during a hurricane there will be no one nearby and the likelyhood of a my stack falling and causing peripheral damage to people is pretty much zero.  More than likely if it got blown over it would just wreak havok on the back of my shop.    And if we have a hurricane head our way, we fortunately get good warning.  I figure I'll do some sort of rope type 3rd or 4th guy wire support to the ground.   Other than that I am surrounded by tall trees that block most of the lower level winds.   Tho at 24 feet I expect the stack to see some action.   

• 1 month later...

also a question...   ???   Been forging for several years with no stack.   Now it seems my fire is different.

First since the hood continues to draw even when I am away from the hand crank blower my fire seems different.   Even with my crappy test side draft I burned up a piece.   I think the draft was keeping things hotter than normal...  and when I went to crank it got hotter way faster and burnt my piece...   :unsure:

Second it seems my fire just plain burns different..  Maybe it burns more up high as the draft pulls air in from the side when I am away.    Prior to this all air came from my hand crank.   At least forced air anyway.   Now I have draft air on top and maybe I have to meet the draft air in the middle with my hand crank.   But I am just postulating.   I put my hand over the champ 400 blower opening while not cranking to see if it was drawing through the  blower and duct.   It did not seem to make much dif.  Was just trying to see if the draw was coming at all from below vs just all the side.   Any advice or observations here are welcome.   ;)

Your complaining that your fire is now hotter than normal and when idle it stays hot?

I know people that would pay for that. (grin)

Grrr.   I replied to this comment and it did not take.  Seems there is something different going on with the replies.  Often before I post I copy everything but I did not this time.  Is there something up Glenn?  What is this Javascript stuff?

The side draft hood is creating a low pressure zone to draw the smoke. Make up air has to come from somewhere so it's coming through the blower and up through the fire.

Alexander Wygers devotes a page or so to self drafting expedient forges, as I recall all had tall stacks making low pressure just above the fire.

You may have to block the intake on the blower to cool the fire back off and get it to go out like you're used to. We'll help if something more complicated is necessary. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

I am good with putting out the fire.   I think???   I pull most all the coke / coal out of the fire pot towards me.   I have a good sized area on my forge to pull most all of the contents out and away from this new "low pressure area"...  trying to leave mostly clinker and ash in the pot.   BUt I will go check how this shutdown procedure worked now that you have brought it up Frosty.   Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...