I Forge Iron

Mystery tool File/Saw

Picked this up from a garage sale in Wales.

post-53754-0-82392200-1407171372_thumb.j

"C.K GERMAN MAKE", the handle looks like it should have a small file or rasp wedged in it.

post-53754-0-95028000-1407171386_thumb.j

The saw has larger teeth on one side and smaller, finer teeth on the other.

post-53754-0-99896800-1407171396_thumb.j

There appear to be 4 separate saws in the pattern.

post-53754-0-77234600-1407171408_thumb.j

I picked it out of a bin full of metal files so I guess it could be blacksmith related, can anyone give a purpose or backstory to it?

Iv seen that pattern in the woodcraft shop near home, IIRC the guy said it was for really hogging out a lot of material and the open space allows the cuttings to fall free better than a solid rasp.

Bingo; Shinto saw rasp, courtesy of woodcraft.com

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2082430/36868/Shinto-Saw-Rasp-11.aspx?MobileOptOut=1

I'm not sure the link will play nicely, but go to the site and search for the item and you will see it

"
Product Information:
The 11" Shinto Saw Rasp is a flat rasp made from 10 hardened teeth saw blades held together by rivets, featuring both coarse and fine sides, with the teeth oriented to cut on the push stroke. The teeth are designed to help prevent clogging, but they can also be easily cleaned should the need arise. While the tool may seem odd to someone more used to traditional rasps, it works so well it will soon be one of your favorite tools. Suitable for any shaping task.

Hardened steel teeth

Teeth designed to prevent clogging

Double- sided: coarse and fine
"

I use the shinto saw rasps all the time, they are fantastic!  I didn't realise they were an older design :)  The new ones are thinner and double sided, but are great on wood, plastic, non-ferrous and even mild steel (though metals will dull them faster of course)