I Forge Iron

Don't give up.

Donnie

I have always had to move my anvil to use it. I used to forge something 3-5 days a week. Arthritis finally put an end to my ability to work. I have done very little forging for the last couple years. Since I have to move my anvil for each use, and I only use the part directly under the hammer, I cut a two foot section of pry bar and mounted it vertically. I have to work seated, as I can stand only a few minutes. I now use a 1lb. hammer and a 1 1/4" face anvil. I have forged several small knives and hooks. It works like a charm. I now light the forge much more often. It ain't over, till it's over! Don't ever give up.

Spanky; that's the reason one of the SOFA guys built some very small powerhammers that actually mount in the hardy hole and use the anvil as the anvil.  Only a 2-3# ram but it allows him to smith even with hand issues...(I spooked one of my co-workers who was complaining about the hot steering wheels we get out here after a long day of work with the car out in the sun---I told her it felt GREAT on my aching knuckles...)

Thomas, can you point to a link for them?   And my first cup of coffee in the morning serves as a warming blanket to my hammer hand - feels WONDERFUL, so I understand the car steering wheel!    Donnie, I really admire the ingenuity to get back to work - awesome!

Spanky, ingenuity is a mighty big word to be in the same sentence with me! I was just tired of just existing and not being able to do what I enjoy doing. My arthritic spine and hips can surely move my new anvil a lot easier than the 100 pounder. The 1 1/4 face of my tall skinny anvil may sound may sound too small to most folks. But, it is wider than the face of my 1 lb. hammer. I don't really miss the hardy hole. I was taught to do scrolls off the edge of the anvil. I never really used anything more than hammer and anvil, so it works for me.

Donnie, I think that's great.  We get so caught up in what we think we need that we are blinded to the possibilities all around us.  Every time I see some third-world smith making great knives on a sledge hammer anvil, it reminds me of just how spoiled we are.

You need to post some pictures of your setup so others can see just how "complicated" a shop you really need.

Donnie

Have you tried Glucosamine & Chondronitin with MSM supplements?  I don't know your age but this might help.  I've been on it for 20+ years and have had Chiropractors and an Ortho surgeon and Nero surgeon tell me to keep on them.  Many friends and relatives of all ages take them daily.  Biggest problem is it takes 3-6 months of taking 1500mg a day to get feeling it.  There are a ton of stuff on the market today with Glucosamine in them that I don't know about, but many articles have been written about the good effects of Glucosamine from all over the world many by Doctors.  Can't hurt, never heard of an adverse problem like most prescribed medications, doesn't effect your stomach or digestive system either. 

As my mother always said "of those Riitis Boys Arthur is the worse"  She wasn't kidding. 

I tried glucosamine for 6 months, did nothing for me. What has helped, surprisingly, is....(believe it or not)... Ginger. I work in medical field, it's often called a Poor Mans Antiinflammatory. I take it twice a day, after a couple months I looked up one day and realized I couldn't even recall the last time I'd taken ibuprofen, I hadn't needed to. Your results may vary, of course, but it works for me. Or at least it does until I spend several consecutive days of 6-7 hours of forging! Then the Ritis Boys show up again!