I Forge Iron

Is this a blacksmith's hammer?

DiggerDirect

Hi, turned up this hammer head on a recent cleanout of an old barn, was told it may be for blacksmithing? Is marked U.S. on one side with a horseshoe looking symbol and other side perhaps a serial number. Interested in any information anyone may have on it. Thankyou in advance!...Al Parker

Hammer.jpg

Hammer1.jpg

Hammer2.jpg

Hammer3.jpg

Hammer4.jpg

Hammer5.jpg

Most likely it was used for farrier and blacksmithing work.  Add the handle and start hammering. I'm sure some of the old blacksmiths, like Frank Turley, could tell you more than I can about the S H and numbers and the style of hammer. Good luck 

I've always called it a machinest  straight peen, but it's real handy as part of your blacksmith arsenal. If you're going to smith with it, you'll want to dress the face and the peen. Yeah, it would work better with a handle, too.

Steve

A horseshoe with a capital A in it Atha Tool Co; found a picture on the internet that had the name in the horse shoe with the capital A inside the horse shoe.

Handy as the US$2 ball peen I have to hand just has a very good rendition of a horseshoe---clips, nail holes, etc with the A in it also below made in USA, ? 309-?

it is an older atha shoeing hammer you can just make out the ATH under the logo. atha used the A in a horseshoe till after Stanley bought them out. they were the top Stanley hammers. Great hammers. some of my main forging hammers are athas.

if you don't want it let me know. I would love to add it to my group of athas.