I Forge Iron

Your chance to own a piece of history....

I found this auction listing quite funny.
An nice 85# anvil, what looks to be a Fisher, on an old stump for auction, simple enough.

But then a shiny new little brass plate attached with two new screws to the stump that says "WINCHESTER" on it....
The low, low starting price of $1500 for this obvious piece of history. What a deal!

Hi this is a blacksmith anvil from the iconic winchester arms co of new haven ct this was in the winchester arms co from the start

post-25745-0-43703500-1404912544_thumb.j

post-25745-0-44140000-1404912553_thumb.j

lol, reminds me of a CL ad for a PW that had England stamped on it.  They found a #8 somewhere on the foot and decided it must've been the 8th anvil Peter Wright made and were asking ~$2000 for a 190 lb'er.

Jim! We are on the same wavelength!

I've scoured the nation, and have pulled anvils from the most historic places and companies from across the land during the last year.
I'll have them at SOFA 2014 for sale, with appropiate tags as to where they came from.

I have the original anvils from Henry Ford's garage, the first shop of William Harley and Arthur Davidson, Thomas Edison's workshop, and many more!
You doubt that? To prove it to you, just look at the shiny new brass tag on there!!

Ogg mad you steal anvil, will be at Quad State with club...

I think Mr Postman could tell us many a tale of people's anvil whose back story was not supported by the anvil itself

As in "My great^4 grand father brought this (1914 american made) anvil over from England...

I had a couple contact me about 7 years ago about a large Fisher sawmaker's anvil they had.  Supposedly her father had brought it home from the Wright aircraft factory in the rumble seat of a Model T.  I drove 200 miles out of my way home to see it and make them an offer.  Despite a decent offer of over $3/lb, they turned my down.   It had to be worth more because of where it came from.  I asked for proof, photos of it in the factory, photos of it in the Model T, paper work or any other documentation.  They had none.  Their story might be true, but it was all HearSay.  They never told me what they wanted, and were sure they could get more for scrap than I was offering.....I drove home and never looked back.

Saw one listed on ebay at a ridiculous price, $5-6 a lb in mediocre shape.  Similar story, brought over from England early 1800's taken by great great great grandfather who served in Revolutionary War, brought it across the west in a covered wagon, almost lost crossing a frozen river, hate to part with it as it's family heirloom...only problem pictures clearly showed a PW made early 1900's.  I asked the seller about it which he then admitted he knew nothing about the anvil but wanted to liven up the story.  Yea right.

Get one of those pictures of Washington "forging" the new nation and then sell *that* anvil!

Shoot I'd bring the anvil I found in an arroyo near Roswell after a crash had occurred; but it keeps trying to float away...if it didn't glow in the dark I would have lost it afore now!