I Forge Iron

Refflinghaus 330 pounder

Just got my new anvil in the other day and finished mounting and trying it out.  Can't speak highly enough of it, after mounting it will put a ball bearing back in your hand.  I managed to play with it for a couple of days and zero marks on the surface other than a slight burnishing and polishing action.  The corners are slightly radiused and I've been rounding them just a bit more.  My old anvil was a cast steel Russian that I got from harbor freight, it was OK, but pretty soft and even though I was careful was getting pretty marked up.  What a difference.

The base is a piece of 3/8" thick pipe with 1/2" top plate and 1/2"x4" bracing and filled with concrete and buried 6" in the ground.  Base weights rite about 600 pounds.  Absolutely no wiggle or wobble and the ring is pretty subdued as well.

post-462-0-59939800-1404647003_thumb.jpg

post-462-0-35694300-1404647069_thumb.jpg

I hear good things about Refflinghaus anvils, good to hear more. I believe filling your stand with concrete is your sound deadener, it'd certainly kill any resonance in the system.

We got the pleasure of a demonstration and open forge session June 21. The clinician being Goesta Gablick and the anvil I got to use bears a distinct similarity to yours but it had an upsetting block and a shelf to the right side of the round horn. I'll have to ask the owner the make of his anvil and he's out of the country at the moment. maybe one of the other guys will read this and chime in with Kevin's new anvil make. A boy can hope can't he?

It was a sweet anvil, you gotta love mass and good rebound from a smooth anvil face.

Frosty The Lucky.

Refflinghaus makes one like mine with the side shelf like your talking about, both have an upsetting block on the opposite side.  Comes in handy for upsetting pieces that are too long to fit in my press.

I'd been looking over new anvils for several years and was really interested in the Refflinghaus.  A buddy of mine got one and playing with it convinced me Refflinghaus was the way to go.