I Forge Iron

fabricated anvil

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the comments guys I appreciate it. as far as building one, that welding class sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Ive spent a lot of time on this thing and im glad its finally almost done. I don't plan on building another EVER lol.

Thomas, i hope he dosnt wait till the heat of summer! This dessert rat dosnt care for the hummidity. I find my self thinking about the AC when it gets warm and hummid.  Shure glad this isnt the gulf coast. 

Mr. Cochran, can't speek for TJ, but I was in on some of the brain storming. And I know how he built this beast. TJ is an industrial and special proces  welder for the oil feild industry. So big torches, big weldors, big grinders and big machine tools are at his disposal. 

It apears that using the botom flange of a peice of locomotive rail worked out well for a top plate, but their are other options that have been used with success, welding, carving (cutting and grinding) forging and machining are all aplicable meathods to building an anvil. Take a bit of time to look at what anvils have been over tha last couple of malinia, not just the london pattern of roadrunner fame. There are other styels that compeit in the "modern" market. 

Im going to try and get this done asap before its 115 degrees lol. Even as a welder I don't like sweating if I don't have to, excluding the forge of course:D. All I would really suggest about building an anvil is as few pieces as possible. that will cut down the fab time tremendously. Mine is eight pieces and a lot of weld time to get it done, including some 1.5" plug welds and 1" deep bevels. If you have access to milling equipment then that will save a lot of grinding or you may be able to work a deal with a local machine shop. Or maybe the votech.

Gotcha, thanks. I might bereally wrong, this looks like an interesting project. I might start it and my short attention span make me go another direction lol. Did you mention how much time you have in it so far?

​He sure did, he was just starting puberty when he began the project and finished it off in retirement.

Frosty The Lucky.