I Forge Iron

fabricated anvil

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trash pump and a pond seems most realistic.

Ground forge and a big hand crank blower would be one option. 

When you do it, video would be awesome. 

What did you make the top plate from? Is is 100% pen? 

207lbs is a good workable size. 

• 1 month later...

207lb, 27" long, 4" wide, 9.5" tall, 18.5" table, 1" hardy, .375" & .5" pritchel. All that's left now is the heat treat and ill build a new stand. I have two chemical totes for the water and I may be able to borrow a water pump. I'm itching to finish and hammer some steel.:D

KIMG0038.jpeg

KIMG0039.jpeg

KIMG0040.jpeg

M Cochran , a good place to do this is at a community college welding course. When my Dad, and I were taking night courses at the local community college the blacksmithing instructor had patterns to make anvils out of thick scrap plate that they got from Kaiser Steel down the road. You got a good sized anvil at 10¢ a pound, and learned to weld at the same time. The rod was included in the tuition, so your only cost was the plate, and time. For the top they had some scrap dozer blades. We had an anvil already, but a good friend made his out there. Turned out nice, and a big inner shield welder made short work of the welding chores, other than waiting for it to cool off between welding sessions. 

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR