I Forge Iron

Thoughts on new post vise?

will52100

http://oldworldanvils.com/postvises/index.html

Any thoughts or reviews on this vise?

The one I've had for around 10 years just sheared the screw off in the box.  Grain looked extremely coarse.  I'll check into a local machine shop and see if they can turn a new one and what it'll cost, but this vise was never what you'd call perfect.  Looks hand forged from WI and while it worked great, the vise jaws were a bit off.

I hope it won't cost too much to get a new screw made, I just bought a new Refflinghaus 330 pound anvil and was trying it out when this happened.  This is turning into one expensive set of hooks!

If this new vise is top quality I really wouldn't mind paying the price as any good vise, leg or bench is expensive.

Thanks

http://oldworldanvils.com/postvises/index.html

Any thoughts or reviews on this vise?

The one I've had for around 10 years just sheared the screw off in the box.  Grain looked extremely coarse.  I'll check into a local machine shop and see if they can turn a new one and what it'll cost, but this vise was never what you'd call perfect.  Looks hand forged from WI and while it worked great, the vise jaws were a bit off.

I hope it won't cost too much to get a new screw made, I just bought a new Refflinghaus 330 pound anvil and was trying it out when this happened.  This is turning into one expensive set of hooks!

If this new vise is top quality I really wouldn't mind paying the price as any good vise, leg or bench is expensive.

Thanks

The price is good for a six inch vise. 

I don't like the shape of the jaws, very hard to bend past or even to 90 degrees. That may be dressable, but then is the warranty still valid? 

Not much effort put into style, especially the mounting plate ( I know, who cares right?)

No way to tell other wise. Is there an initial guarrantee ? If so, I would tighten the vise (after mounting it) with a long pipe until the handle bent a little. if the screw doesn't snap, you know you can't break it by hand. 

Thanks, I found one supplier that had one left, everybody else is out of them and won't be ordering more as the price has went way up.

I'm going to see if I can get an Acme threaded rod and nut and make do, if I have to spend too much time or money I'll just order the vise.

I talked with one supplier and he had to replace one screw from where the owner bent the crap out of the handle with a sledge hammer, but the replacement screw was only 25$.

I took my screw up to the machine shop today, but they couldn't identify the threads.

There are plenty of $100 5" post vices around, really not hard to find. I'd get another and keep the broken one to take along to Quad State or some other tailgaiting session and swap it there maybe. Never scrap any blacksmithing tooling, no matter how "beat" you think it might be.

Got the parts ordered to fix it.  Main thing is time, I work oversea's month on and month off, so hate to spend a lot of time fixing something.  On the other hand I hate to junk a tool like this with it's history that can be saved.  Also the more I think about it I'd rather build a new vise than to buy a new one, only part I'd have to buy would be the acme threaded rod and nuts, the rest I could fab out of plate. 

Best I can tell the threads are true square cut and 3 threads per inch.  There also badly worn.  I'm replacing with a 4 thread per inch acme rod and nuts.

Down here in the south it can be hard to find a leg vise that's in good usable shape.  A lot of farmers used them up, others sat outside and deteriorated, probably more than a few went into the WW2 scrap drives.  And there never was a lot of that kind of stuff down here to start with.

If you can get to Quad States, or know someone who is going, pick up a good vise there.  I was there last year and there had to be over 300 post vises for sale.  Most very reasonable.  I brought out a heavy 5" complete, with great threads, and could not give it away at $100.  I brought it home and swapped it out.  QS is the place to go.

Thanks, the only other option I have is to do the old fashioned blacksmith method of twisting square rod around a shaft and brazing it.  If the acme thread doesn't hold up that's what I'll probably do.  The jacks your talking about are even rarer down here than a good used post vise.  There simply isn't a lot of that stuff floating around down here, lots of pine trees and cattle and miles between houses, not much in the way of old tooling.  I could always order one from ebay, but hate to order something like that sight unseen.

• 5 months later...

Fatfudd is correct, vises will normally have square, or buttress threads which are much stronger for pushing than tapered Acme.

Acme will probably work, but it isn't the best choice. The benefit Acme has is that it available from several sources, at a great price. I just bought some from Enco , a machine shop supplier.

Go ahead and try it out.