I Forge Iron

How much Kasto-Lite do I need?

I searched around for a while and came up empty for this question so I apologize if I somehow missed it.

I decided to go wjth a 6" square steel tube as my shell for my forge and was thinking casting a refractory inside it would be my best bet.

My issue is, I have no way of knowing how much refractory to buy. I'm looking to keep the price as low as possible.

For a 6" x 9" square tube with a 3" tunnel down the center, how many lbs of casting material would I need?

I found this stuff on amazon that would work but it is only rated to 2000 degrees which may not be enough?

it is only rated to 2000 degrees which may not be enough?

Think of it as ice, below freezing it remains ice, above freezing temperatures, the ice will melt. As long as you stay under 2000 degrees, the 2000 degree material should work.

Purchase material that us suitable for the job at hand.

Honestly couldn't find any info on the manufacturer to call them. Googling Kast o lite only results in vendors sold by the 5lb bag and up.

The volume I'm working with on paper should be a 225 cubic inches. That's after subtracting the area of the forging space down the middle.

Honestly No I was not.

I was trying to copy the design of the "atlas mini forge" which appears to just be brick on the inside.

Would I be better off just dropping the casting and putting inswool on the inside with a brick floor? I'm only looking to heat treat but forging temperatures would be nice.

I suggest that you study the tutorial. 

You could just cast it, however, it would take a lot more Kast-0-Lite, be a lot heavier, take a lot longer to heat up and not be as efficient.

You could just use the Inswool but you would then have free floating fibers which are carcinogenetic and you do not want to breathing that.

You could use the Inswool and then paint over it with either Plistix or Metrikote, which would contain the fibers and reflect the infrared rays back into the forge and make the forge more efficient but there is no strength to either of them or ITC-100 and you would poke a hole through it almost every time you put a piece of metal into the forge or take it out.  

Honestly what I want to use is a stack of soft fire brick. Casting is way more unnecessary work.

My problem is that I cant find a local supply of soft fire brick on Long Island or NYC and shipping for the only place I've found is $17 for 3 bricks.

So does it expand and contract at the same rate?   Did you check out any pottery supply places for soft firebrick?

"Results 1 - 30 of 121 - See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Ceramics-Equipment & Supplies in Long IslandNY."