I Forge Iron

My very first project

Joe H

Well, here's the first thing I've ever forged.

3841.attach

3842.attach

It turned out ALOT better than I expected it to. I'm really kind of shocked.

My forging skills need alot of work, but luckily the grinder has been my friend for a very long time :).

It still needs some polishing, but I'm really pleased with it. It's kind of strange, I fab things from steel all the time and love it, but I don't think any project I've ever done has felt this good before. I think I'm hooked.

Thanks to everyone for your efforts on this forum. I've read alot here, and without it I would've been a total failure I'm sure.

Another cool thing is now I "need" some more tools! I'm gonna have to build a bigger shop. WOOHOO!

Thats awesome!
I'm working on my first RR spike knife now, i just need to get my coal setup going cuz my gas forge ain't hot enough. if i could pump out something half that nice i would be psyched!
how'd you get the blade so level? i find myself putting to many hammer marks on what i work on.. and you shaped it so well, how did you keep everything so even?
Looks gorgeus bro.
Evan

Thats awesome!
I'm working on my first RR spike knife now, i just need to get my coal setup going cuz my gas forge ain't hot enough. if i could pump out something half that nice i would be psyched!
how'd you get the blade so level? i find myself putting to many hammer marks on what i work on.. and you shaped it so well, how did you keep everything so even?
Looks gorgeus bro.
Evan

"forge thick and grind thin"
I read that here, not sure who wrote it but it worked for me. I hammered it out to where it resembled the final shape, then went at grinding. I started out with my angle grinder, and a flap disk for the shaping. I'm very comfortable with an angle grinder, so that's what I picked up. I just eyeballed it straight and even and flat. I've spent a good 20+ years working with steel, so grinding is something I've become good at. Once I was happy with it I went to the belt sander for finishing.

Probably not the most traditional way of doing things... Maybe once my forging skills are honed some I won't have to depend on the grinder so much.

It sure was fun, can't wait to practice some more. I may do some work tomorrow, if the soreness in my forearm lightens up a bit. :p

Thanks Finnr! My arm is pretty darn sore! I did manage to swing the hammer some today, trying out the suggestions I was given here. Whadd'ya know! Feels much better, with more control. I was trying way too hard I guess. I'm glad I mentioned the soreness, you guys picked right up on it and steered me straight, and it's much appreciated.

Yep, I'm hooked for sure. I can see now that I need a coal forge, and a real anvil.

is a nice one. far as the arm goes...not used to usin them muscles? or your hammers too heavy-and technique that was mentioned before, or just a ol wore out rough hand that swung a 16# hammer most of his life- reguardless you will prevale!! above all... have fun!! remember what mom said bout playin with fire?????