I Forge Iron

Little help with a new friend

Picked up a new to me anvil today, can someone with the reference books please help? Is this a peter wright? Markings are long gone except for the serial numbers 25663 and (7?)34 and a double stamping of England. Also has a funky little hole in front foot below mousehole and a tapered in the middle hardy.

Great rebound, got it for fixing a riding lawnmower. Lady's grandfather was a blacksmith in Dallas, Ga. She realized it's value, so now I have to help clean out old barn/garage stuff (only maybe half of which is wrought iron!!!) Every once in awhile, something just plain makes up for the bad days. :P

Proportions are a little off of most of the later imported PW's I've seen, no flats on the feet, taller waist, noticeably triangular tips to the feet.  

Obvious forge welded top plate and striker marks all over indicate an anvil of a certain age, the extra handling hole in the foot under the horn tends to be Peter Wrightish, perhaps it's a very early PW? The stamps look too good to be true thou, very deep.  

LOL my wife just walked thru and glanced at the photos, said "That doesn't look like a normal Peter Wright"!

Well Postman says he's documented over 200 English anvil makers so far and many of them made quite similar anvils to the big brands as they were started by people who had worked for a big brand...

The hourglass base is interesting, without the clear England it would point toward the HB or German Trenton's.  This may be one to actually consult with Postman on.  He's a nice guy and generally very happy to be of help.

Sounds like a good idea, does anyone have contact information (in a pm) or can he be reached at the anvils in america website?

I found some "Henry Wrights" on IFI that look a little similar, especially the steep climb to the heel in the back and the oddball handling hole on the foot, but still doesn't seem like a perfect match.