I Forge Iron

Pile of fire steels

If you don't want to dig through manure piles and the bottom of outhouses, Spectracide makes a stump remover that's mostly saltpeter. Take all safety precautions, the first of which is "don't do anything stupid". That stuff ignites very easily, and you may get quite a bit more flame than you were looking for.

In the early days in New Mexico, a cotton rope was carried in a small metal tube for the fire steel, and used especially, when lighting cigarettes.

A few early Mexican fire steels were quite fanciful and with animal forms to hold. They were made as careful as fine jewelry and I suspect gentlemen of wealth carried them in their vest much as a pocket watch was carried.

I visited the Van Alen House museum in NY state, and they had a quite large fire steel hanging in the kitchen. I asked about it's size and was told, "It was so important in the old days, that they didn't want to lose it."

Referring to  not having heard of flint-and-steel before, think about the flintlock rifle. Without flint and steel, it would be tough to make a flintlock rifle. [snarf]

A few early Mexican fire steels were quite fanciful and with animal forms to hold. They were made as careful as fine jewelry and I suspect gentlemen of wealth carried them in their vest much as a pocket watch was carried.

There are several of this type, with animals and with other designs, in Decorative Antique Ironwork by D'Allemange.  Dover has a reprint of it, it's a good resource.

Mine too, I remember when he posted here. Great guy, its a shame and loss that's hes gone. Strikers are some of my very favorite things to make. We started to make a lot of duel purpose strikers for the bushcraft crowd the last few years and animal head strikers. Its great fun to make something artistic that serves such an important function.

• 2 weeks later...

I love making fire steels .....  Mike Ameling was a very good friend and a great influence in my blacksmithing path. I still miss his knowledge and willingness to share everything and anything.  I just recently received a letter from his Mom updating me on how she is currently getting along.

There is such an immediate success and feeling of gratification when the fire steel is struck against the flint and the sparks come off and crackle in the air before they burn out.  I just recently came across a picture of a historical 18th century fire steel that I have not seen before, and I look forward to getting some forged ......

Ohio Rusty

Purveyor and Blacksmith

The Ohio Frontier Forge

The strikers look great, the simplicity of the teardrop would make great candidate for a multipurpose tool. Probably slightly off topic but, short of walking around wacking at various stones from around the yard (which a certain appeal for stress relief) is there a suggested method of identifying a good flint stone?

Rogue, good rocks are dependent on your locale.  In NM, I'd check with the local wildlife/geology sites for mention of chalcedony, jasper, flint, quartz, and chert.  You're actually in a good area for knappable stone - look into the Clovis culture and what they were using.

Rogue,

Being in NM, go to one of the local museums and look over the arrowheads and spear points on display.  That way you can get a look at the texture, colors (many), fracture and spalling patterns/appearance.  Those are mostly flint and chert and the other varieties that Vaughn mentioned.  His suggestion was very good.

Most flint/chert rocks will break with a curved and sharp-edged surface (conchoidal fracture).  Colors can range from white to black.  Also search for flintknappers in your area.  They will know where the flints and cherts are most common.

Cutting edge with strikers on the spine like striker knives and recently a axe head shaped striker with a sharpened edge..Also a belt buckle striker and some sort of cloak pin/striker..Mostly the bladed type though.