I Forge Iron

So as some here might know, the smithy here has had a Demoor powerhammer in the corner, without a motor and some other things, but good news to everyone who is saddened by those words, it now has a motor and those other things, only problem is the wheel on the motor is too small so it's hitting too fast, but that will be fixed very soon when we get a hold on a new wheel

first time turning it on 

and here's a damascus billet being welded with it. (action starts at 3:15)

How heavy is the tup and what is the BPM?

i actually have no idea, i was just watching there, i'll see if i can't pry some information from my uncle who owns it, maybe take it for a spin if i can scrounge up some stuff for a damascus billet

i edited the first video a bit, it should be brighter now

That doesn't look too fast to me, nothing a little operator practice wouldn't solve. If you do want to slow it down you need to make the drive (motor) pully smaller.

Can we spend less time watching the fire and more looking at the hammering next video? <grin> Still, watching the iron heat in the fire is actually pretty instructive for some of the newer guys who haven't used solid fuel forges.

Enjoy that old lady, she's a beauty.

Frosty The Lucky.

First video: I just enjoy laughter in the forge nervous or otherwise!

Yeah, folk sounded pretty excited about seeing that old lady doing her thing. It did put a smile on y face.

Frosty The Lucky.

My Demoor was built in 1970, so is relatively new so to speak. The one in the vid is a little older as the oiler was changed in later models.

My hammer has some idiosyncrasies that I've had to deal with. It has 11 belts that when warmed up stretch somewhat and need to be tightened during the day. Mike H. machined me a belt tensioner that I have yet to install. Also, periodic removal of oil by removing the head and lifting the tup out is a must for even running. The hammer tends to 'woof' with uneven strokes so I know when to do the cleaning. Other than some minor annoyances, it is a really nice piece of machinery.

Jake James in Canada also has one as does Ian Mills in S. Africa.

John

• 7 years later...