I Forge Iron

Bench Project

I made this bench that the wife saw in wood.  I changed it around a little and made it in metal.  If it's worth making, it's worth making out of metal.  I tig welded the end caps of the top 2"X 3" tubing and the spacers between them.  I tig and mig welded the legs to the bench and bottom plate.  The legs are 1-1/2" X 3".  The angle cutting of the legs was a real pain.  A cold saw would have been wonderful.  I used my chop saw with a composite blade which bends a little as you cut.  So, lots of grinding to get everything to fit.  I plan on powder coating it and will post pictures when it is done and in place.  I didn't think this project was right for the "member projects" section as that is for blacksmithing and there wasn't any of that in this project, just cutting grinding and welding. I do think the legs make for an interesting look.  

post-7487-0-65129400-1401571496_thumb.jp  post-7487-0-92275600-1401571568_thumb.jp  post-7487-0-17319800-1401571640_thumb.jp 

It is made of mild steel with lots of scale still left to remove.  Most likely it will be sand blasted.  It is much much stronger than a wood bench and will probably be used outside. Thanks for the compliments.  More mig welding tomorrow in those hard to reach areas of the legs and of course some finish grinding.     

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the finished project with the wife's cushion on top.  Sandblasted, primered and powder coated.  No weight limit on this bench.  The powder coating has a little texture to it. I tig welded some easy to get at spots and mig welded the tight spaces and anything else I needed when the gun was in my hand.  Mig is so XXXX  fast and easy.  The mig is a Lincoln 125, flux core, down and dirty, get er done, 115 volt, runs for ever, never breaks down, fast and furious, machine. The tig machine is a Thermal Arc Inverter, about 15 years old.  

post-7487-0-20291300-1403820021_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-44645800-1403820094_thumb.jp 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...