I Forge Iron

Hay-Budden Anvil Date by Serial Number

I recently came across a Hay-Budden blacksmithing anvil. I believe it's ~150 pounds. (There's a 1 -space- 52 stamped on the right side under the company name, etc.)

Can someone please post a (complete) range of Hay-Budden serial numbers vs. manufacturing dates?

I see several topics asking for the age of a particular serial number anvil, and thought this would be a good place for people to reference if someone has that information handy.

I assume Anvils in America has that information available. If someone has a copy that they could look up that information, that would be great.

I will post pictures of my anvil as soon as I remove some of the rust.

Thanks in advance!

The number below the logo is the weight. Look on the edge of the base under the horn for a serial number. If you want the whole list of s/n and dates I suggest purchasing a copy of Anvils in America, excellent reading and supports Mr Postmans research efforts.
Post pictures we all love the pictures

Unfortunately this is like asking you to post your credit card numbers and social security and birthdate numbers----We'd like to profit from your hard work...

And as it would impinge on the need to purchase a copy of Anvils in America it would violate copyright.

That makes sense to me, guys.

I took photos of the anvil, and can now make out the serial number. It is either 38469 or 39469. Hopefully, someone can tell me what year this was manufactured.

This is the only anvil I've ever owned, and I'll probably sell/trade in the future. I have no idea what it's worth, but I don't want someone to take advantage of my lack of knowledge. I did know enough to know that antique anvils are sought after.

Any recommendations on how to properly clean it up without decreasing its value? Wire brush and oil? CLR? Pressure washer?

It looks like it was rode hard and put away wet, but it is ~100 years old.

Thanks for any information you can provide on this anvil.

Hay-Burden Anvil, S/N 38469 (or 39469)

post-54613-0-12550400-1401646727_thumb.p post-54613-0-70602800-1401646733_thumb.p post-54613-0-70143200-1401646747_thumb.p post-54613-0-96280600-1401646759_thumb.p

post-54613-0-01858700-1401646771_thumb.p post-54613-0-70765100-1401646785_thumb.p post-54613-0-84290000-1401646801_thumb.p post-54613-0-02256800-1401646808_thumb.p

37,000 - 42,000 is listed as being 1898

In reality anvils are not considered *old* till they date earlier than 1800; then they get a premium for age.

The reason "non-modern" anvils are sought after is they are often well made compared to many "Anvil Shaped Objects" for sale in recent times.  They are also much cheaper than the "good" modern anvils usually at least 1/2 the price of the same size "good" modern one.  Location pays a part too; anvils where I live now are 50-100% higher priced than where I used to live.

Removal of loose rust and oiling/waxing/linseed oiling. Is generally considered OK  PAINTING is NOT---As painting is sometimes used to hide flaws I discount the price of a painted anvil to reflect the risk.  Grinding or milling the face is a bad thing to do I generally will not buy an anvil that has had this done to it as it has the capability of destroying it's usability or at least cutting the use life WAY WAY down.

I'm more interested in using anvils and so the brand and condition is important to me and not the age!  I'd rather have one in great condition that is "recent" than one in poorer condition that was decades earlier.

If you are interested in selling you anvil give us your location and we can give you a better idea of its value. A decent anvil of the size you have will go for 2 to 3 dollars a pound in an anvil poor state like New Mexico.

1898 — lots of stuff going on in the West back then requiring massive amounts of iron, railroads, experienced blacksmiths and farriers. It would be nice to see what it was like back then (except for the disease and hardships, of course).

Is California (North Bay) considered an "anvil rich" or "anvil poor" area? Does "anvil rich" mean the area has a lot of anvils, and the demand/prices are lower? I am interested in selling it.

Thanks for the info!

"Anvil Rich" depends a lot on what the population and industry was like back at that time compared to the population of anvil wanters in our time.  So places like Ohio which was thickly settled and had a thriving industrial base have an abundance of anvils (*3* anvil manufacturers!)  while NM was fairly light on population back in the day and so light on "native" anvils now.

CA is usually a upper end of prices area due to the modern population being much greater than the earlier population.

The Bay area seems to have a number of anvils available from time to time but they seem to go for pretty high prices. $3/ lb seems to be about the norm.There is a fellow in Santa Rosa that "sells" his anvils for quite a bit more but I don't think he sells many. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my farrier made me a good trade on the anvil. He's going to get me a smaller farrier anvil and trade out some shoeings. I think if it as a horseshoeing "subscription".   :)     It's a win for both of us.

The anvil will be going to his friend's blacksmithing "museum". If possible, I'm hoping to check out his friend's place and post some pictures of some of the old stuff here to share with you guys.

• 2 years later...

There is a t.f.s. 150 # new anvil for $765, & a Kanka 165# new anvil for $ 989, and an Emerson new 200# anvil for $1,090

And this person wants to sell his used anvil for a suggested $1,000?

I guess there may be someone who wants such a "vintage" tool.

Are there any pictures for this anvil?

Just a mild curiousness.

SLAG.

• 8 months later...

I've got a used car; what's it worth?     Sort of need to know the condition as it could range from scrap rate to prime collecting value. Need to know the country---over 150 countries participate here and anvils range in price in all of them.  A good picture of the side and face along with where it's at. (Prices where I live now are up to twice as much as where I used to live and BOTH places are in the USA!)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...