I Forge Iron

Straight Razor

So here is a project ive been working on. It is a straight razor for my friend whos birthday is coming up(sunday) I used a ratchet wrench as the metal and it seemed like it turned out pretty good. I still have a lot of file/sanding work to do on the blade and then there is sharpening... but all in all its looking like i wanted it to look!

post-51766-0-86958700-1401486860_thumb.j

post-51766-0-20043800-1401486862_thumb.j

post-51766-0-02999000-1401486863_thumb.j

post-51766-0-97367400-1401486863_thumb.j

So here is a project ive been working on. It is a straight razor for my friend whos birthday is coming up(sunday) I used a ratchet wrench as the metal and it seemed like it turned out pretty good. I still have a lot of file/sanding work to do on the blade and then there is sharpening... but all in all its looking like i wanted it to look!

I see a clearly defined socket shape but did you weld it to the ratchet before forging? I can't, for the life of me, make out where the ratchet part is/was

I am thinking tire iron as well. That begs the question of if someone were to use this as a weapon and pommel strike a person would that be getting hit with the bunt end of a knife or the working end of a tire iron?  

Steve, 

The curved edge is called a "smiling edge" or "swept edge". 

Swept edge - sometimes known as a ‘smiling’ edge, especially in the USA, this is the reverse of the swept spine. In this layout the spine is straight and the edge curved convexly, as in the dreadnought blade above.

Curiously, Steve, where did you look to find NONE that are arched?  :P  I seem to remember Grampa's razor having the arched shape. I believe the curve would make it less likely to be nicked by the corners of the blade

Scott

The guy in the video posts earlier in this thread used a 1080/15n20 combo. This is more of a medieval style of blade that were described as looking like small axes.

Thanks to DARPA now we can watch a blacksmith put his own razor to his own neck.

Razors are really difficult to get right and have some design aspects that are critical to actually function to shave someones face. First the bevel  basically has to be hollow in geometry. There are razors that are called wedges but they too are hollow ground, just with a larger diameter wheel. I can't tell if your first one is hollow or not. The reason for this is that the razor acts as its own sharpening jig. The spine and the edge both lay on the stone as it is honed. A flat will have the whole bevel on the stone and will be nearly impossible to hone correctly. Second the thickness of the spine is determined buy the width of the razor. So determine how wide you want the razor then research the proper spine thickness to provide the bevel angles necessary for the edge.

You are off to a great start, keep it up. 

The metal used is a socket wrench socket. Its one i found at St vincints and it came with the socket and a round bar that extended with a detent ball and a hole through the end. like this ::}-----o that is literally what it looked like. I have another one but it is a bit deformed from attempting another forging. Basically I was going to make a strait razor and not knowing what they should have in terms of a blade i didnt think about it much, but now having all this info from you all I think ill be able to get somewhere.

Try stock removal first with some known steel - it isn't that expensive. Then try to forge one out. Badger and Blade is a good site to study making razors.

You can get O-1 , and other tool steels from MSC, ENCO, and other machine shop suppliers for just a few bucks. They have a bunch on a special in their newest flyers.

I know people who have done a hollow grind by hand though they've said if they were planning to do another they'd get a belt grinder.  You could build one.  Here is my 2x72 which uses a treadmill motor and has variable speed by using the treadmill's controller.  I've got about $250 invested in it.  The big expense was the wheels.

post-34362-0-12884400-1402514218_thumb.j