I Forge Iron

Striker stc-88-help

I've just obtained the above mentioned hammer, and as a newbie smith may have bitten more than I can chew. It came with a 4kw three phase motor, no instructions and that pretty much sums it up. Anyone as any advice?

Thanks in advance
Sergio

Thank you all.

Does it have to be a rotary converter or can I get away with a static converter???
The price differential is big.
I have easy access to single phase 220.
Also concerning the oil- can I use 50 weight motor oil, if I can get that, or does it need to be machine oil??

You want "non detergent" oil.  Not too hard to find, ranch type stores or places that sell ag equipment seem to carry the stuff.  Some auto places as well.

I never had luck with any static converters, tried them on a few machines and even when I got them to work(barely) you could tell the motors were not happy.  Craigslist is rife with rotary converters.

Thank you for all the feedback. If it's ok I'll continue to ask questions.
I got the hammer and the motor some mismatched dies but no switch boxes or controllers of any kind, trying to stay away from hiring professional electrician but looks like it's the sensible thing to do before I blow this thing up!!
As far as aftermarket dies go am I better off doing sketchs of what I want off of existing ones and going to a machine shop or does anyone know of a source of dies for the "Beast"???

Sergio

How much did that cost you and how many people did it take to move it?

Right about 3k and two not very smart guys(me and a buddy) with chains comealongs and 3/4" pipe to slide it out of the trailer i brought it in. Loading onto the trailer the guy i bought it from used a bobcat.

No, not enough. And yes, a big concern. I would focus on a phase converter or Vfd, that size/rpm motor configuration is an oddball. And then you would have to get the right sized pulleys etc. keep on the hunt, something will work out to get it powered up on the cheap. In the meantime you can be scrounging for base material and figuring out how to mount the motor.

Thanks nuge!
I just managed to get some non-detergent motor oil, like you said, 40w was the highest they had, since I'm in Florida I figured I could go heavier but you roll with the punches!!
Since my shop has dirt floors, read sand, I'm figuring on a deep hole packed with gravel to bed two layers of full size railroad ties flush with floor and on top the hammer base also built of milled railroad ties, it helps that the other hobby is woodworking :).

Sérgio

Hey Sergio-

Whats the story on that hammer?  I does not look like its been used too much.  Do you have the belts and treadle?

Keep in mind that you are going to want the dies to be at a comfortable level.  I have this same hammer and am 6"2" tall and my dies are 42" off the ground.  That puts my base height around 20" and I wouldnt mind a few more inches of height.  If you can find a thick piece of plate to put on top of your timber base that would be a bonus, more mass is good.

Looks like you can get a VFD (7.5hp) off ebay for about 500$ new.  I just hate the idea of getting a new motor because you have one sitting there.  

Good luck enjoy the ride.

Ill see if I can get pics of my base today,  whoever built it did a nice job.

Jamie

Good morning Jamie
The guy I bought it from told me that he bought it new and used it about 30 hours. It came with a bunch of dies but none match and some are modified to do decorative work, have the belts and treadle. Don't have the electric switch, he was using it to power other machines as well. He told me that he was running the "Beast" from a 3hp rotary phase converter. I've talked to phase-a-matic and am inclined to use a 10hp static+idler combination and that should also cover future needs on my many hobbies!!!

I'm 5'9" so I'm figuring 40-42" off the ground, maybe a plate cap for the timbers which also will provide welding points to lower the treadle swivels.

Any and all feedback is welcome since, for the most part, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Thank you

Sérgio

Sergio

This is James Johnson.   I have set up a large number of Anyang 88 hammers for customers that do not have 3 phase power.  I think that most of the options have been discussed in this thread.  The C41 design requires a high torque motor at startup so you have to be very careful what type of motor and even phase converter you get.  I have set up the 88's with single phase motors, with VDF and also rotary converters that allow you to keep the 3 phase motor.  I can also guide you towards a switch that will work with either 3 phase or single phase.  I can also help you with the base design.  I think the best design is the one that Anyang is using now where the motor is below the flywheel.  I get my bases from the factory but you could fabricate one fairly easily.  It has great motor adjustability and is compact.  I can send you some pictures.  If you want more information, please email me at James@anyangusa.net or call me at 940 6274515.  I would be more than happy to help you any way I can. James

• 10 months later...

The Beast is finally installed and running. My goal next is to use it to make various forms of tooling for itself. if you have any suggestions please fell free to toss them my way.

I benefit immensely from your combine generosity and expertise, this last one i lack royally...

If you are ever in the central Florida area shoot me a line and you're more than welcome to visit my humble set up.

Sérgio