I Forge Iron

mine stamps

Ok, this is a bit of follow up to the previous posts. I went back for another look at those blocks and found another block with a recess in it the same size as the square projection on the one I took for a post anvil. Obviously they are meant to fit together and I figure the recessed one would make an ideal base for another block. That would give a good flat surface for an anvil with a combined weight of about 500 pounds. Here's a pic with the recessed block in the foreground:

post-50874-0-50213300-1399528155_thumb.j

While I was scrounging around there I noticed this heavy solid cylindrical block. It measures 16 inches across and 10 inches deep, which I calculate to be about 560 pounds. That's a quarter ton of solid steel. It will take the bobcat to move it, but I reckon it would make a superb cylindrical anvil.

Here's a pic of it:

post-50874-0-20193300-1399528418_thumb.j

There were also some heavy rings 10 inches deep and about 18 inches O.D. Perhaps there would be a use for them.

post-50874-0-03109000-1399528595_thumb.j

And I may as well add a couple more pics of other things I found. I don't know if there is such a thing as a ball or 'dome' anvil, but I reckon this would make a good former. I think it's a pressure tank from a ram pump.

post-50874-0-78896100-1399528729_thumb.j

This cone shaped thing turned up too. There are a few of them and I think they may be adapted to make a cone mandrel. There's a couple of solid ones but most seemed hollow with pipes attached to them. Someone suggested they may have been from a forge (tuyeres??) that had water running through to keep them cool. Sounds reasonable, but they look a bit big for that.

post-50874-0-18527100-1399528953_thumb.j

As you can see from the picture below, there is a lot of stuff to dig around in and this is just a small part. You just never know what will turn up. Maybe I'll find an anvil somewhere (wishful thinking).

post-50874-0-34934300-1399529112_thumb.j

Good lord, Ausfire!  Stop posting pictures of stuff I can't have!

That dome thing reminds me of what they use on the docks to tie ships to.  I've seen domed ones before.  If it isn't too thin-walled, that gizmo would make a dandy round anvil for forming sheet metal into bowls.

That 500# chunk sounds like it's dying to have someone take it home and make it the anvil for a power hammer.  

I might just have to brave the crocs if that's the kind of scrap yard you can find down under!

tuyeres:  did they have a smelter around there? Smelters need much larger tuyeres than a forge does but may need water cooling as well---of course depending on the type of furnace used...

And that does look like a Hydraulic ram pressure tank  note the stout flange with largeish bolt holes on the base.

tuyeres:  did they have a smelter around there? Smelters need much larger tuyeres than a forge does but may need water cooling as well---of course depending on the type of furnace used...

Yes, there were copper smelters and tin smelters in my area. I think those cylindrical blocks came from the tin battery that used to operate in our local town. I can remember when it was operating (it closed down in the early seventies) - ten head of stamps thumping away day and night. My father in law was a tin miner and he would camp overnight at the battery when his crushing was going through to make sure he received all of his tin concentrate. It was not uncommon for unscrupulous workers to siphon off a bit of the fines for their own purposes.

Most of the stuff in our yard is ex-mining equipment from around the area. A lot has gone to the scrap dealer, but we are keeping the stuff that may be useful in recreating a working mine. And of course for me to use in the blacksmith shop.

I might just have to brave the crocs if that's the kind of scrap yard you can find down under!

You're welcome Vaughn, but I think Qantas baggage handlers would struggle with your return luggage.

about 30 years ago I once went on a plane with a 90# carry-on.  I had discovered an old scrap pile way up in the Rockies and they weighed your luggage but not your carry-on.  Of course this was way before the air travel scares...I have taken coal back from a conference in my checked luggage.  The duffle full of tools and metal was more of a concern than the duffle full of coal...