I Forge Iron

Need opinions on forge table size.

stovestoker

I am going to order a firepot to build a forge table around. It will be a permanent forge with a side draft. I was wondering what size the table should be? I was thinking 3'x'3' would be enough room for the draft hood and a good area to rake in coal. I only want to build it once so I need opinions. At this time I have no plans to forge huge items.

Exactly what is "huge" to *you*.   I prefer rectangular forge tables to have room for tongs and not so much room on the working sides of the forge.  A third arm is much more helpfull than excess room on the working sides.

I'd suggest doing a quick and dirty mock-up and test it!   What you like may very well be different than what other people like.

If you have the room bigger is always better;-) You can do small work in a big forge, but it is painfully hard to do big work in a small forge. I would think 3x5 would be better...

I'm partial to 36-40" x 55-60", or maybe a bit longer.  The proximity of the firepot to the entrance of the hood is important, obviously, but I think folks often overlook how handy it is to have a large table to the side of the firepot for fuel storage, a shallow quench tank, racks of punches and chisels, etc.

I like to have my forge table organized so that I have room to stack up small pieces when I'm doing production work or need to keep the prototype handy for quick comparison to the piece being worked.  Having somewhere to quickly set down my tongs or keep my punches handy.... well that's just handy.

It's a rare thing to hear a smith wish his forge was smaller.

Right Now I am working out of a small 20 by 16 forge. It is very shallow. maybe 2 inches deep. It is a pain to keep coal in or build the fire up high without it spilling out of the side. I got some firebrick today to try to build a ducks nest to see if I can keep the coal high enough without spilling over the sides. When working in a flat pan I keep loosing my bloom. It gets blown out when I try to insert long stock for heating.