I Forge Iron

Practical 5160 machete. 19 3/4" OAL, 1 5/8" at blade's widest, 3/16" thick. Purpleheart and recycled wrought iron with antler. The goal this time around was to keep the piece within the customer's limited price range, so the materials are all left overs from other projects. Gave the blade a light acid wash for character. Oddly the customer is still undecided on a lanyard hole, but there will probably be one soon.

post-25471-0-60496800-1398559031_thumb.jpost-25471-0-75240700-1398559036_thumb.jpost-25471-0-60896600-1398559026_thumb.jpost-25471-0-31591800-1398559022_thumb.j

Comments and critique welcomed,

Theo

Looks like a pretty nice machete Theo, beautiful fit and finish on the handle. Most machetes have a bellied blade at the end, supposedly to make cutting easier. It's been my experience that trying to cut with the end of a machete is pretty poor technique. I personally prefer a drop point myself and have modified several. I can't find my favorite machete with the bone handle. Bone was  much more secure without having to use a hard grip.

I think you've made the tip too long A miss and hit on the very end might break or bend it. I made mine pretty obtuse, WAY less than 45*, not square but much closer, it acted almost like a saw blade cutting on the very end.

My other thought is a larger end on the handle and a little more abrupt. I like a disk profile on my hammers and machetes, they don't slip out of your hand very easily at all. The disk doesn't need to be large, maybe 1/2" top and bottom, radiused edges and smooth so it doesn't cause blisters but I nice abrupt knob. If something you're holding onto actively, swinging a hammer, hatchet or machete being prime examples, tries to slip out of your grip, a tapered handle or a knob on the end will cause you to grip hard reflexively. You'll have saved it from being thrown before you notice it's trying to get away.

Machete handles typically have what I call a pinky hook a little more abrupt than you put on this machete handle to help secure your grip but I've found they can still get away if you're really giving it a hard swing and whatever happens to cause it to slip.

Those are just my thoughts and reasoning, worth what you paid.

You've put together a beautiful blade Theo. Well done

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you, that means a lot to hear :)

I feel you on the tip; less aggressive is more practical here. The pommel is also something for the next blade - any pics of what you find most comfortable by chance?

I don't know what happened to my bone handled machete. I'll have to see what I can find. It wasn't my idea for the handle but it's been so long I don' t know where I saw it. Heck, it might have been the way the bone handled machete came. I loved that blade the day I saw it at the surplus store. Man, I'm stumped now, I'll ask Deb but.

Frosty The Lucky.

How thick is it?  Machetes are generally quite light to make slashing all day with them possible.  I agree with Frosty on the handle---check it out with a wet and slippery hand and if it's easy to control then it's great.  (same thing on swords where you expect that use would entail sweat, blood, bile, zombie slime, etc)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad to see this thread back up, I forgot to let you know I haven't been able to find my old bone handled machete so I can't post pics and I can't tell you what was so special about it's grip. It may just be that dry bone is easy to hold onto, I just don't know.

That machete blade was kind of heavy too and much less flexible than regular ones. I shortened about 8" and ground a drop point on it, like yours but more obtuse, maybe 80*.

On the other hand, now I'm not looking I suppose I'll stumble over it a couple times a week before I remember to grab it. Truth is, I haven't seen it in a few years and can't imagine just leaving it buried in my stuff somewhere. I love that machete and have wanted it any number of times. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.