I Forge Iron

Would this work

Lesvoo

This is my first post after weeks of lurking...what great helpful folks on this site!

I am looking to build a propane forge for my brother who is a farrier. Would a burner like this work to power an air tank sized forge? I already have one and it throws a lot of heat and it's free...or at least already purchased! :-). I would line it with kao wool and ITC1000 or something like it. Thoughts? I appreciate your help.
https://www.flameengineering.com/products.php?category_id=5

Cheers!
Les

Lesvoo:  I 'm not sure what size air tank you have.  A propane torch will heat up a small forge.  I have seen a one burner torch used to heat branding irons and they got them to an orange heat with no door and 4 iron in the fire. It just took a while.  So, it should work.  Good luck.  

Thanks Dave...it will likely be a 5-6 gallon air tank or as large as a 10 gallon just depending on what we find. I figured it would work I was just looking for ideas , options or opinions. Thanks for your help! :-)

Cheers!
Les

Welcome aboard Les, glad to have you. Put your general location in the header and you might be happy to discover how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I took a look at their website and most of the torches are weedburners and not so great in a forge. The 1 1/2" torch looks to be a possible forge burner. No guarantees but it's got a lot better chance than the larger ones.

A 5gl/ 20lb. propane tank lined with 2" of Kaowool should reach a good forging heat with the small one. I can't say about reaching welding temp but maybe. Use 2,600f or higher rated, 1" 8lb. Kaowool or the equivalent. Two layers of 1" work a lot better than one layer of 2", the thicker blanket wrinkles and smooth is good, also if you need to repair it you have to pull the entire liner instead of just one layer.

If nothing else buying a kit will give you a regulator, gauge and hose which are the most expensive parts of making your own burner.

If you need to make one, let us know we'll be happy to help.

Frosty The Lucky.

Many of the weed burner type torches have a very oxidizing flame not real good for a smithing forge where a neutral flame (or even reducing for knifemeking!) is preferred.  Most of the purpose built forge burners have a method of choking the burner to adjust the flame to suit your work---most weed burners won't have such an adjustment and many won't tolerate a retofit.

Lesvoo

I tried something along the same lines and it did  not work well the heat was (my case) too small for anything bigger than my one brick forge. Also if you mean to us this with any kind of a pipe  make sure the air intake is well clear of the pipe.