I Forge Iron

Acquired some rail track.... Now what?

Hi guys. I've been given a length of rail track - 39" long to be exact. I had planned on cutting four 6" sections to sell on giving me 15" to play with.

Trouble is I'm not sure what to do with it. I made an excellent cutter using rail some years ago so one of those is on the cards again.

But what else? Travel anvil mounted vertically? Chop it up for tools? Forge some into a viking style anvil.... All of the above?

Ideas would be much appreciated.

Andy

Bury the rr track end first vertically in the ground and use it as an anvil. If you have an anvil already, put it on the work table and use both inside and outside curves as a swedge. I have acquired several pieces of different lengths and sizes and keep them handy beside the press. Great for cribbing up a project rather then running the length of the cylinder each time.  

Is it the smaller sized stuff that is about the same width top and bottom, or the stuff with a much wider flat base? I've a few yards of the small stuff that I'll use for bottom tools / stakes in the anvil + under the treadle hammer, once I get the time...

I only have about a foot of the wide based stuff; I've cut off the wide, side parts from the bottom at one end, maybe for 4", leaving the upright part and the top intact at that end. This slides nicely into the jaws of my leg vice, the top resting on the jaws and giving a very stable and secure mini-anvil, the further end has the upright part between the top and base for about four inches; this allows me to work on things like fork prongs at a convenient height.

I'll be glad to read of any other uses you come up with for either sort of track.

You are really only limited by your imagination, your budget, and the time you want to put into it. I personally would make it into an anvil. However, you could round it into a giant horn, cut slits in or rough up the face and use it to apply textures to projects. Heck, you could weld some round pins on it and use it as a bending jig. Truly an unlimited amount of possibilities.

Just want to put my marker on this thread, til I can bring some 'meat and taters' to this subject.  Was out in the 'shop' a few days ago, using a 6" section of 111# rail to swage and re-purpose some automobile tire chain links.

Is it the smaller sized stuff that is about the same width top and bottom, or the stuff with a much wider flat base? I've a few yards of the small stuff

I've cut off the wide, side parts from the bottom at one end, maybe for 4", leaving the upright part and the top intact at that end. This slides nicely into the jaws of my leg vice

Now I understand that some legacy rail in the UK may be of the 'Bullhead' configuration, where the foot is as mentioned by GNJC, above.  Mine, is the wider, flat base (foot) type. 

The next thing I will do to my piece will be to follow GNJC's lead, but split the rail in half horizontally through the midpoint of the vertical web to make two 'T' shaped post vise anvils.

Radiused the edge of the foot, and lying on its side in a vise, spreads links nicely.

My Process evolved as I took the rail over to the 3 ton Famco rack and pinion press, flipping the rail to use its various profiles.

It really can be the 'poor man's swage block'.

The snow gripping section of this particular chain set is made from links that are hard as the hubs of Hades.  Took several smart strikes to shatter a link (wear eye protection) on the rolling surface of the head.  FYI, it left no mark whatsoever on that face.

Each and every one of you who have posted here have inspired me to do a picture heavy project on 'Sectioned Rail Segments as Tools' - but for now, it's only bluster and braggadocio  in the face of all the competing responsibilities of life.

here we have

UIC 54 54kg per meter normal main line stuff with a flat wide foot

BS 50 O 50 lbs a yard, light gauge stuff 

BS 45 O 45 lbs a yard

LONDON UNDERGROUND  big, square topped and thick wide foot prob over 80kg per meter

BRIDGE RAIL shaped like an omega, used on overhead cranes

and BULLHEAD

those are the types I get

I just saw the most beautiful table top vice/ anvil combination that looked to be made from rail track. If it was, then the maker is incredibly talented.

image.jpg
photo host

Picture taken from Czech smith Milan Hejl. I hope you don't mind me sharing it here.

Certainly looks as though it's a piece of rail. Or it could at least be copied using rail...... Opinions?

All the best
Andy