I Forge Iron

ASO SMASHING!

macbruce

I reckon those fellows could reduce my Soderfors 88#'er to rubble in a fourth the time it took them to decomm that "ASO".

When I acquired it, the face and edges were blown out by much smaller mislaid hammers.  I have yet to add another ding to the carefully salvaged face (4# hammer).

I like how the striker in the foreground starts getting tired and smacks one to the camera at 1:59........

When I took mine out years ago it took two swipes with an 8 pounder, one fore and one aft, these boys get pretty strung out about it.......I believe my 165# Peddinghaus could survive such a smattering of abuse but it certainly would have some damage.......The video is pretty mindless in it's entierty but I understand how they felt about the thing. If one of these asos were to darken my doorway again I'd give it away to some noob who could get some use out of it, after all they're still better than working hot metal on a rock.....I guess........

When I was forced by circumstances to use an ASO the problem wasn't that it broke it was that the face dented under hot metal!  Not even touching it with the hammer; cherry red coil spring left dents in it.  When I want to deform metal I would prefer that all the deformation take place in the workpiece!

A good decade ago a guy gave me a brand new ASO that still lives out by my old connex shop. One day I'm thinking I'll try silver soldering a steel face on it and see if I can turn it into a decent anvil.

Of course I'll probably leave that project in my will but what the hey it's not taking up room I need.

Frosty The Lucky.

I can think of a lot more creative ways to take out frustrations. Like put it back into your work. To me it is sad to see. Someone could be great full for that. I liked working on mine better than my track anvil. Just re shaped the horn some.

I liked working on mine better than my track anvil. Just re shaped the horn some.

For me the problem was as Tom said, the face would dent while working hot A36. The horn was not the problem.........Personally I'd take a chunk of RRT over the ASO any day and have given away several chunks to noobs just starting out, it's tough stuff..........