I Forge Iron

Anvil hardness?

Hello All.

I searched, but did not find.

Anyone have a chart or listing for anvil hardnesses on the face?

A corner was knocked off my Peter wright last year due to a sledge hammer "swing and a miss" by a student.

I'll send it out for testing just to see, but the grain was HUGE and not bonded to the body of the anvil. Its a small chip off one corner, but it got me thinking about these old tools.

Ric

The chip was a result of the top plate not being welded to the body?

I've never seen any scientific data on anvils as a whole, but I can say that my Fisher anvil is hard enough to scratch the face of every hammer I have in the shop.  The entire perimeter is chipped like a stone tool because of mis-strikes before she came to me, and one area is incredibly sharp.  Just tapping on that edge will scribe a hammer.... so I had to try all of my hammers. :D

As I recall Bealer said in "The Art of Blacksmithing" the ideal anvil face was around rc60, a new sharp file should barely cut, if it skated it was too hard but almost was ideal.

Are you planning on welding on a piece, or building up and hard facing?

Frosty The Lucky.

I would not be surprised to see big grain in an old anvil.....

our normalising regimes are as you know pretty modern. I have an old ( by Uk standards) stump anvil that is defiantly forged  with steel face and wrought body(its quite beautiful) and shows what defiantly looks like cast iron at the fractured corner.

I have replaced anvil faces with all sorts of welding material over the years (as my advice changed) and the dissimilar rods I welded an anvil up with 20 years ago are still holding up strong with no more noticeable marks than the original face.....

What are your plans?