I Forge Iron

the things you find

What do you do with a big bunch of old hammers?? I think I was pretty lucky to have this little lot land in my lap.
An old scrap dealer, close to retirement, had been chucking aside a few interesting old items for years and he asked me if I wanted some old hammers he had. The box weighed a ton but they looked interesting and I thought it was too good to pass up so they came home with me. There are a few odd looking ones there and I have no idea what they were for. There were a few punches and old chisels as well.
He also had a bunch of old tongs 'and stuff' and some handled chisels if I wanted them, so they went into the ute as well. Some appear to be still usable and some have shapes I can only guess at what they held.
He didn't want anything for them (and gave me a vice and some other goodies too)but said he would like one of my junk sculpture birds, and I am quite happy to oblige.
I think I did all right out of that. Here's a couple of pics anyway:
post-50874-0-67864900-1395027271_thumb.j
post-50874-0-92880300-1395027365_thumb.j

I wasn't sure about those hammers with a square flat on one end, round on the other. Perhaps they are body hammers. And some of those large sledge hammers look to be too pointed, unless you are a very accurate sledger. I didn't know about the sheet metal seamers either.
And what did this thing hammer?? Nearest I can guess is very big rivets??

post-50874-0-79037600-1395031957_thumb.j

I wasn't sure about those hammers with a square flat on one end, round on the other. Perhaps they are body hammers. And some of those large sledge hammers look to be too pointed, unless you are a very accurate sledger. I didn't know about the sheet metal seamers either.
And what did this thing hammer?? Nearest I can guess is very big rivets??

attachicon.gifwhat's this.jpg

It is not a hammer.  It is a top swage tool, used to form a rounded top shape like a rivit head.  It is struck with another hammer, or use in a power hammer.

It is not a hammer.  It is a top swage tool, used to form a rounded top shape like a rivit head.  It is struck with another hammer, or use in a power hammer.

Right you are. Some real nice stuff he's got there. I even see some horseshoe fullers in there.

That's certainly a good enough load to get somebody started anyway. :) B)

George