I Forge Iron

Anyone ever forge a flambeau

Okay, I'm not French, so did anyone ever forge a torch?  I saw this on a BBC Mastercrafts of Blacksmithing video and thought it would be

a good idea for future use, like on Christmas Eve...I'm tired of my paper bags catching on fire. 

I have looked on Google, Bing, British Google and French Google.  No help at all.  If you did forge one, could you

help me out with a few things.  What is the "basket" that is wrapped by the iron bar? is it just a piece of pipe?  Also, what is the

fuel that is used to keep these things going?  If you have plans, I might even have my wife bake you a pie.  Don't know how

well it will do in the mail though. Thanks for the help, I just hope I don't have to use plastic flashlights for Christmas Eve this year.

post-51947-0-34031900-1394913887_thumb.j

post-51947-0-72531900-1394913908_thumb.j

post-51947-0-88195500-1394913935_thumb.j

Being Mastercrafts I imagine it's rolled sheet but a piece of pipe would probably work just fine. I saw the program but don't recall some parts. What the fuel or wic is didn't register on me at all and may not have been shown. If I were to give it a try I'd maybe use a tightly rolled piece of natural fiber rope and kerosene. A tightly rolled cotton rag would probably work as well.

Here's a thought, make a BIG candle by setting a piece of cotton rope in the can and pouring wax around it. Heck, bacon grease would work and is probably a lot more period correct, petroleum seeps aren't very common most places.

Frosty The Lucky.

. Heck, bacon grease would work and is probably a lot more period correct, 

Frosty The Lucky.

You might end up like the pied piper with dogs instead of rats!!!

I would try using a suitable size can filled with sand (as a wick) and paraffin with a dash of citronella oil to discourage the bugs.

Use a piece of pipe as a rolling jig while forging and pop the can in after.

Ian

I've been making "Corn Shuck" torches, for several years.

And the good news is, ... there's no "wrong" way to make them.  :P

My favorite design is very loosly based on a "Kellems Grip" type, strain relief device, ... or ... aka: "Chinese Finger Trap".

It's basically just any kind of "wire", loosly braided around whatever size mandrel you choose.

I like to use 2 loops of .25" round stock, bent into a "U" shape, and wrapped 1 and 1/2 turns, in a spiral, around a mandrel of about 2" diameter.

You should end up with something similar to the shape of a "Jesus Fish".

Now just "intertwine" the 2 "fish", ... and weld the "tail ends" at 90 degree intervals around a large flat washer, ... or use a square base, and weld the tails at the corners, ... or whatever suits you.

I've done this little project with local Boy Scout Groups, using a Pickle Jar Lid for a base, and wire Coat Hangers to form the "basket", ... mounting it to the end of a stick, with a Nail through the center of the Jar Lid, to make a hand held Torch, ... used in "OA" ceremonies.

There are a lot of other easy ways to make Torch Baskets.

Another way is to split a 6" to 8" length of pipe, several times, lengthwise. ... for all-but 1" of it's length.

Then flare the "fingers" out, and shape them individually, to resemble leaves or flower petals.

( Even a Tin Can could be utilized in this fashion. )

For Fuel .....

There are a variety of choices, as well.

An entire Ear of Field Corn, including the Husk, dipped in wax, will burn for a LONG time.

Or, you can shell off the Corn kernels, and dip the remaining Husk covered Cob in wax.

Or, you can dip that same Husk and Cob in Kerosene, ... for a shorter duration Torch.

Strips of old Terrycloth Towels, ... impregnated with wax, and allowed to cool, ... can be rolled into "candles" that work well in these Torches.

And finally, ... old COTTON socks, can be filled with wood shavings, or any fibrous ORGANIC material, ( Grass Clippings work OK ) ... and impregnated with wax, ... or Kerosene.

This ain't Rocket Science, ... and your own idea is quite likely better suited to your circumstances, than are mine.  ;)

Enjoy !

Thanks everyone.  I will scour the farm for things that may work.  I'll try the bacon grease if I can catch the pig, until then I have a lot of wax, sawdust and old socks and kerosene that I'll try first.  Great ideas!

. Heck, bacon grease would work and is probably a lot more period correct, 

Frosty The Lucky.

You might end up like the pied piper with dogs instead of rats!!!

Ian

Rats like bacon grease too Ian. Heck, light one up in early morning and campers might start showing up for breakfast.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't know how interested you are in buying components, but you can buy beer/wine bottle torches, and it's basically just a wic with a stopper that can adjust how much wic is available (the workings of an oil lantern essentially) then you can make the stand and put little beer bottle torches out and about.