I Forge Iron

Made an anvil and hammer today*

Curly

*ok this is maybe not worthy of being placed in the Anvil or tool section but made up these two little wooden items today. It's my daughters first birthday this Saturday and already she likes nothing more than banging random objects together, so thought I'd start her young and put that energy to good use.

At least it will be easy to grind out any hammer marks from the face and haven't had a chance to work out the weight yet!

post-29379-0-15377800-1391712962_thumb.j

Excellent Curly, give the little ones do something to bang around on and they'll leave the fragile stuff alone. . . . Hopefully. <grin>

Did you radius the edges on the hammer? It won't mark the anvil as easily if you do.

Frosty The Lucky.

I made a wooden hammer and anvil for my son about a year ago. I rolled up some aluminum foil and let him bang on it, it worked pretty well and wasn't messy. He loved it. Yours looks a lot better than mine did, though. :)

If this were one of the "Tool Maker" Boards, ... we'd now enter into a lengthy debate over the relative merits of Oak versus Maple, ... for "make believe" Anvils. :rolleyes:

I did think about using a layer of oak for the face of anvil but ran out of time!

Basic shape was cut out then it was mostly shaped with a 80 grit flap disc on a grinder, took off a lot of material quickly!

Excellent Curly, give the little ones do something to bang around on and they'll leave the fragile stuff alone. . . . Hopefully. <grin>

Did you radius the edges on the hammer? It won't mark the anvil as easily if you do.

Frosty The Lucky.

And yep, hammer has all the edges rounded, mostly to protect nearby furniture than the anvil!

Sitting at the computer I inlarge the pic to get a better look and it's nice, the side of my chair explodes as my 7year old daughter jumps up and exclaimed she wants one so she can help me work. :-) love that kid.
Thought I was going to run the forge but it looks like the bandsaw instead today.