I Forge Iron

Stuck Vise Screw

Ken G

Last weekend I purchased a rusted/frozen vise on the chance I could get it freed up and become serviceable again.  I have soaked it in Liquid Wrench, WD40, Transmission Fluid, PB Blaster, heated the screw box, and hammered on it every night.  Not even a speck of movement on the screw.  The pivot leg that was stuck fast is now flopping around but the screw refuses to budge. 

I know, let it soak and keep after it.  Patience is the key to defeating anything rusted tight.  I just needed to share and hopefully someone can give me some encouraging words or success stories that will give me hope.

Ken

Greetings Ken,

Just a little advice from another good ol boy...   Place the screw box in a wood vice or use wood blocks on the pinch points with the screw up...  Put liberal WD 40 down the threads ...   Use a flat wide chisel in a air hammer a vibrate the threads being carful on the cast parts , best on the screw   What this does is make room through rust compression for the lubricant..  The rust compresses and the lube slides down...  Do not over kill this patients and a control on preferably a long barrel air hammer has worked well for me in the past..  Again caution on the cast screw box..   I hope this helps...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

More heat cycles are probably needed. I had a stubborn one like that a few years ago and tried everything you listed but it finally took soaking the whole thing in the coal forge until it was a dull red. There was a layer of old grease and coal dust inside the box that had almost welded the screw into place. Even with the heat, it was very difficult to turn but everything eventually cleaned up fine after I got it washed and reoiled.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouraging words.  I'll stay after it and try to repress any urges to get the gorilla hammer and show it who's boss.   The rust will eventually yield to penetrating oil, heat and occasional but mild hammer shock treatment.

Ken

P.S.  The PB Blaster is now referred to as Wife Repellant.  That could work for you or against you.  You decide when to use it. 

Post photos of the vise screw box. Many screw boxs are made from a dozen parts brazed together.

If you heat this type of screw box it will likely come apart. And I mean break apart because the female threads will yank out of the box making the vice useless. Or by heating it you may end up brazing the screw inside the box.

Many other vices have solid iron screw boxs, or cast iron boxs. Heating this type of screw box may help to loosen the stuck screw.

It's important to know what you have before heat is applied

Yes sir definitely cast iron, I just wanted to post about the composite brazed boxes because I have seen many tools destroyed while restoring them because some one did not know how they were made. I might have broken some old tools myself because I did not know better about there construction.....

You might try electrolysis to loosen up the rust

Home Depot is supposed to carry Kroil but the local store does not have it.  I've heard it is the best for stubborn rusted bolts.  If all else fails I may give pressurizing some penetrating oil a try. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Ken

Home Depot is supposed to carry Kroil but the local store does not have it.  I've heard it is the best for stubborn rusted bolts.  If all else fails I may give pressurizing some penetrating oil a try. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Ken

Kroil is awesome stuff!

Go easy on pressurizing with grease or oil you would be surprised on how much pressure a grease gun can pump out. I would hate for you to blow your screw box apart.

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to report that this morning that rust very reluctantly gave up its death grip and the screw backed out. Once I got the threads cleaned up it will screw in and out with one finger.  I have to give credit to Kroil Oil as the thing that seemed to tip the scales in my favor. 

Thanks to this that posted suggestions and encouragement. 

Ken

I had an equally stubborn vice a while ago, the leg pivot as well as the screw. I tried everything I could find and in the end it was a combination of home-brew release made from acetone and diesel, a little heat (not at the same time, I learnt that one!) and tapping all over with a hammer to shake the rust loose.  Now it is a lovely vice again :)

I'm a bit late to this tread, but here is my experience with rust. If you are in no hurry you stick that thing in to a bucket of water and let it soak, water got it to rust water will loosen it up.

And if you are in a hurry, you heat that thing red hot and quench it in water, but that also depends on the type of steel, and unfortunately on cast iron (like yours) I wouldn’t dare to do that. I am a mechanic on heavy trucks and it does wonders 99 times out of a 100.

Maybe it will help someone. :)