I Forge Iron

Historical Question

Hello folks, just signed up.

My great-great grandfather was a blacksmith in Emporia, KS, 1860's. He brought on a partner in 1867 who had experience from large shops in Michigan in "ironing wagons, carriages and buggies." Anybody know what "ironing" refers to?  Thanks.

Paul

Been watching the 'smiths at Colonial Williamsburg "ironing" wagons and artillery carriages for years. The wheelwrights generally "iron" the wheels - put the iron tires on the wheels.....the "smiths make all the metal attaching hardware, axle hangers, etc...next time you have an opportunity, take a close look at a wagon or artillery carriage and look at all the iron on it. I was amazed and how much there was the first time I saw an artillery carriage (was for a 6 pounder) being built.

Welcome aboard Paul, glad to have you. Seems I got beat to the punch . . . line again. Thank you Neil. <grin> Ironing wagons, etc. is making and installing ay of the iron work on/in one.

Did you inherit any of your great great Grandfather's tools?

I have a step son and newly wedded daughter in law in Madras. Nice country, I really like the obsidian beds between Bend and Burns. someday I'd like to make a knap in. Do they still hold them at or near the Glass Buttes?

Frosty The Lucky.

My first blacksmith experience(IN THE 1950'S) was cranking the blower for a old fellow who restored Carriages and Sleights he re- ironed them there.  Including replacing steps, whip socket holders, dashes, many, many little things that were other wise unobtainable.  He was real good at it and I've wished I'd paid more attention to it, as I get much older and have my own carriages and sleigh. 

There is a good book by Sturt called the 'Wheelwright's Shop', it is about work in England but the same would have been done by your relative.

There was an alternative to a tyre, strakes. Instead of a continouous unbroken circle there would be a number of pieces (usually coinciding with the number of fellows / sections that go to make up the circumference) each covering the joins in the wheel's circumference and pulling the sections tighter as the hot iron contracted. I don't know much about the availability of iron at that time and place, but if it was scarce straking may have been more common than tyring.