I Forge Iron

Where is the help?

Rich Hale

I am 27 years old. I grew up in a house of self learners. The big one in the family was my oldest brother. He's 37 now. He is a self taught computer engineer for Wachovia bank. No degree, no seminars, nothing but programming books and an IBM. He was 16 when he interned at a software business and fixed a problem over night that the companies engineers spent weeks trying to fix and failed. That landed him a job there, and was the springboard for what he does now. Leads teams of programmers to do what they do to keep the bank going internally.

When i was 11, i was interested in computers (not so much now). I asked him if he would teach me to build a website (this is late 90's). He told me to search html tutorials. So i did.

That action changed the way i go about things forever. From there i learned how to really mine the internet and books for information. That same year and age i wanted to and did build a half dozen computers from scratch and devoured as much as i could. Its also the same age i picked up reading books out of sheer enjoyment.

I have been smithing a year now, and try to search first and ask second. So far it has been a success. I also agree that youth these days are rather lazy. Need to be spoonfed. Sad really.

I'll take all the help I can get! Not sure if any of you are qualified to provide the kind of help I really need ;-D. But I'll take advice and constructive criticism any day. Good natured ribbing is a s welcome as warnings to be safe.
If you think I need to hear something, tell me, if you think it will violate Glens rules PM me.

I never planned to make knives. When I started blacksmithing, my interests were in decorative, artsy, ornamental work and the tools to do so. It wasn't until I had the opportunity to visit Rich Hale on a trip to Phoenix where I learned enough about pattern welding that I had to try it. Knives still aren't my main interest, but the few I will do, I want to do to the best of my ability with the best knowledge resources available to me.

Thank you, Rich and Steve. Admittedly, I was one of those that did not attend all of the live lessons and I could make excuses as to why I didn't but that is not what I am posting for. I did, however be sure to read all of the lessons as they were posted in the forums and I am thankful they were made available in such a timely manner. I hope you guys don't feel that the whole project was a waste of time. I am certain that many of the folks that also didn't come to the live classes feel the same as I but you will never hear from them even though they did in deed find the lessons valuable. There are just people like that. Its what makes us different from the rest of the animals on this earth; diversity.  By the same token, as has also been pointed out earlier in the thread, there are a few that will not read anything that they have to look up on their own. There's nothing that will change that either. Please don't let those few determine the value in what you have contributed or may choose to contribute in the future.

Sincerely,

Scott C Scheer

Rich and Steve,

I missed the actual class due to not having internet at home and have not had much shop time this year. I do appreaciate the effort you both put into the class and have read the entire class section at least twice and will read it again when I have a chance to put it into practice.

You guys did a great job and I regret not being able to attend and keep up with it as it was happining.

Jerry 

It is a pity that any newcomer to this site has NO xxxxxxxx WAY of knowing about the so-called "sticky" threads. There is no "read this first" button on any of the pages. There is nothing in the terms of use (the link for which is buried at the bottom of the main page) about looking for any "sticky" threads. Ther are, in fact no threads on this website labled "sticky." (They're labled "pinned.")

It is a pity that folk would rather brow-beat newcomers (who may be of ANY age or background) for not having read this well-hidden resources.

It is a true and crying SHAME that folk brow-beat newcomers to this website instead of simply copying and pasting the links to said threads. Copying and pasting links to said threads takes LESS of one's precious shop time than brow-beating the newcomers.

I've had my rant now. Ban me if it makes you feel better.

The old soft wear used the term "sticky" . This version uses the term "pinned".

If you go to the Blacksmithing > blacksmithing general discussion the very first topic is All stickies are here.  That is followed by 6 "pinned" threads. That is a total of 7 threads that you must bypass to get to the first thread that is not attached in some way. It is that way through out the entire site, all attached (sticky, pinned, or what ever) threads are at the top of the page.

The site is set up so that any new post brings that thread back to the top of the section, directly under the attached (sticky, pinned, or what ever) threads. You can set your preferences in many different configurations but this is the default setting. We would like to have more time (or volunteers) to review and rewrite many of the more in depth threads and or subjects so they would then become a stand alone resource and reference. We could then place them in an easily accessible location.

Your comments are welcome and when posted in public will be answered in public. I have watched some of the newcomers enter the site and demand information be given to them. Some have gone as far as to say they do not have time to read the references provided which contain the answer they seek. They want someone to look it up for them and post it immediately. Those members are few in number. They are usually ask a question to reveal whether they actually read the reference. If this is brow beating, please look for another descriptive word, such as not taking the advice and information which was provided to them.

The majority of the folks visiting IForgeIron go to the section of the forum that interests them. A few minutes reading and they start to understand the width and depth of the information available to them. They then ask questions to better understand what they have read. That as a good thing, they are trying to learn, and they will receive answers to match their efforts. More effort on their part opens up more interest on the part of those posting replies.

I can name several teens and sub-teens that have come to IForgeIron with an interest in blacksmithing. They are respectful and in return are treated in a respectful manner. Many have taken the information to the forge and come back with more questions. The challenge is then to keep up with them, providing them the information they need to succeed.

Thingmaker and others

If you see any brow beating of any member please click on the report button and notify the mods and admins. The site does not allow personal attacks and the issue will be reviewed. 

Thing,,and Glenn I agree a lot with your thoughts about newcomers. It is for sure a shame that some of them come in and demand attention and that attention is not always of the highest kind they deserve. There have been several threads like this one in the past and I have learned something from almost all of them. Note I did not say I agree with all said but I did learn.  As a result of that I have changed my way of approaching those folks quite a bit. I have, in the past, typed in that they should read the prior threads,,or stickies and get back with any questions and I would try and answer them. And a couple of times have been told by them in the chat room that they prefer not to read anything already posted and why don't I just retype it all again in here...as if they would read it no matter where it is posted?

So I changed. I try not to say that anymore. I will slay and do often about knife making. That is covered in the knife making lessons I helped prepare in the forums. 

And so you know: If you hover your cursor over any name at the bottom of your home page it will tell you wot part of the site that person is using. So I wait a bit and check to see if they are looking at the info posted. I give them some time and ask if it all makes sense or if they have questions. A really low percentage of them looks at the information. I f they aer not looking in the information i am done with them.....It is not worth my time to invest any more into anyone that does not really truly seek help. 

I have a few young folks visit my shop now and then. If I am spending the shop day doing a bit of my work and passing on my skills to them I expect a few things. A big one is that they take notes and listen to answers. If they ask the same question a few times, not write anything down,,,they are not invited back. This site here is not my shop so my rules do not apply. When someone is rude in here I cannot toss them out in the street. I can offer help or not...my call. And wot most folks do not know is that quite often i will send a private note to someone that has posted work that could use help. I simply ask if they would like my comments and suggestions. If they do not wish,,I do not do. And often they say of course I would like your thoughts. I send them and get back two kinds of responses; Thanks but that is exactly wot I wished that to look like,,or thanks,,how can I improve. For the second person I will help them in anyway I can. 

The other new way I deal with folks in the forum and chat room is to just hanging out and see how they act towards other folks without getting involved. That seems to work out well for me at least. 

Thing, your comments are valuable for the site. You stepped up and addressed an issue the may not bother only you but others as well. Good to get it in the open. I hope lots of folks read and look inward to see if they are part of the problem you mentioned. 

As for me I will not forget your concern....however I stopped posting links sometime back. That is likely to stay the same. My old school persona that works well for maybe only me..is not likely to changer much. If someone told me there was something hidden deep in the bowels of this site that I wanted to review I would find it. Period. Aa I learned to smith I traveled across the USA to learn from the best I could find. For someone to say they dont want to click to another page to learn just does not set well with me. 

If we were closer we could talk more at length over a hot chunk of steel between anvil and hammer. 

As an example a fellow joined and said he was brand new to the site and to blacksmithing. He ask for assistance saying that he built a brake drum forge and ask that was the best type coal to use. He got two replies and a request to provide his location. He thanked those who replied, posted his location. He then ask where to get metal to work with. He got three replies, and three suggestions / invitations to join the local blacksmith group that was near his location.

All this has been covered more times than you can count in the forum. He came in polite, respectful, and showed he was trying as he already built a forge. Both of his questions were answered, and additional information was provided as to where he could get assistance from other blacksmiths in his area. If he follows up by contacting the local group, and continues to show he is willing to learn, he will go far, both in blacksmithing and in life.