I Forge Iron

Sign Bracket Project

Gundog48

This is my current progress on my biggest project so far. I've about a year's experience working at weekends (although that's mostly bladesmithing, mind you) and this is my first serious commission. I I've got all the joinery to look forward to yet, as well as making the sign, chain and finishing, but it's coming along very nicely and the first piece I'm really proud of! Any ideas for improvements would be gratefully received!

post-24777-0-42648500-1386613739_thumb.j

I hadn't considered side bracing! I suppose we don't get a whole lot of wind and it shouldn't catch the air too much, but it never hurts to be too safe- I'll look for an elegant way to incorporate it!

Thanks for the book suggestion, that will really help with my research!

The bracket's wind loading is generally pretty negligible; however signs tend to up the ante a lot!

Where I live we get 100 kmph winds several times a year so making signs that can swing with the wind *and* have replaceable attachments as the wind is often very abrasive dust laden and swinging back and forth will wear through loops over time.

OTOH rain is usually not much of an issue! 9.71 inches per *year*!

Nice looking bracket Gundog. Besides reinforcing it to take side loading from wind swinging signs. The suggestion I have is to tighten up the quarterfoil. As the main element all four scrolls should be more even AND connect. It's also the perfect place for creative collaring, band, twist, coil, etc. Twist or coiled collars can showcase some nice features, say a forged  pea vine holding it all together.

I like putting little touches that aren't obvious to reward folk for takig a closer look at my work. Of course that can backfire, sometimes more skilled craftsmen look and the flaws are standing out more than they need to. <wink>

Without getting all wordy, my critique is to even (tighten ) up the quarterfoil.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the advice everyone! This is my first time doing a quarterfoil (didn't know that was their name, thanks!) and I was surprised to find out that it actually fit! Mathematics and blacksmithing have never gone well for me! I plan to collar each piece to the circle and perhaps each of them together. It's a great suggestion as I'd like to show off more skills than just scrolling as it's also a piece of school coursework. If I understand you correctly, you think I should use more scrollwork or ornamental features to 'fill' the circle tighter, or do you mean that the current scrolls are inconsistent or otherwise out.

Excellent suggestion with the vines, being a brewery I could try doing some hop vines, although I've never done anything of that sort before, and perhaps incorporate it as the 'chain' to hold the sign. Perhaps have it wrapping around the metalwork and acting as the collars... I may have to do some drawings!

Sounds like a good plan! In my haste to arrange a client for this coursework project, I offered my services out for free! I'm quite happy to do so as it's taught me a lot, will give me something nice for a portfolio and I'll be able to see my work on display in public. He's really grateful so I'll get my payment in beer if nothing else! Any suggestions of good guides or things to read regarding forging vines and stuff, it's not something I've tried before. I like the idea of something in the centre....

I wasn't suggesting more scrolls in the quarterfoil. My suggestion is to even the scrolls up so they're the same size AND fill the space fitting evenly for a complete quarterfoil. It isn't a true quarterfoil unless it comes together on the outside scroll.

Hop vines, perfect. You can forge the leaves with a longish stem then form the vine from three or more pieces of round, twisted together entrapping the leaf stems and forged for the final texture. If you're feeling cocky forge weld the vines. Be sure to get some hop vine and leaves to model for you. Twisted vine stem has a fairly natural texture but I don't know if it's right for hops.

Hop flowers will be trickier, they're colas not individual flowers but I'll bet something similar to forging pine cones will work on tubing. They need the right texture but now we're getting into details that will solve themselves with a little experimentation. Of course there's the benefit of all the cool texture dies you can put on the shelf while you're perfecting the hop flower die.

I like the idea of repousse and chased elements. Your next taproom sign can be a tap with beer pouring into a mug. The wall mount is the barrel end of course and the beer is composed of brass or bronze scrolls with nice scrolled nickle wire foam on the mug.

I'm getting carried away again but your sign bracket has my imagination going now.

Frosty The Lucky.

Very nice work.  I like the way you've kept the curves smooth and flowing into each other.  

One thing to note as far as detail goes.... perspective.

This sign is going to be hanging on a wall several feet above a passerby.  That means details will be lost to the eye if you make them too small.  What might look garishly large when you have the bracket in your hand will actually look "just right" when the signs ten feet up in the air.  Conversely, something that looks just right in hand will be invisible at a distance.

It's a very hard thing for me to balance, but it explains why a lot of work you see will leave you with a feeling that something's missing.