I Forge Iron

second set of proper tongs

Burkey

I've made a few tongs since starting out but I've only really made one set of usable tongs before this, the others were made of thin junk as practice, so, this is what I made today, 20mm square, holds nice and firmly with no wiggle.

Any suggestions?

And yes, it's reobar, I'm pretty much broke as of late so, I got it for free.

post-47713-0-17559100-1384858220_thumb.j

I have some rebar tongs. Not a thing wrong with rebar if it works for what you want. Yes there are a lot of things I wouldn't use it for but like all iron, it can still be used. Only purists (in their own mind) will balk at tongs from rebar. 

They are great looking tongs and should serve you well. Fine job!

Mark <><

Those are great!
do you know how that particular chunk of rebar reacts to a rapid quench? good to know if it was a higher carbon piece.

I tried filing it after a quench and it took some material off. Tried cold bending it, unusually hard to bend but no snap.

Do you wear gloves? They look a bit hard on the hands for a no gloves smith and great gripping for gloved work.

"Go not to the Elves for advice for they shall say both Yea and Nay" and blacksmiths are even worse!

I always wear gloves. The other half complains when my hands get messed up from work or my hobbies.

Those'll work just fine. don't sweat using rebar unless you're doing something where consistency counts. Tongs are perfect rebar projects as are log dogs, tent stakes garden lamp stands,  plant hangers and such.

Don't worry about how it takes a quench from heat treating temperature, don't let your tongs get to red heat and it isn't a factor. cool em every now and then, I keep my quench bucket close for the tongs not the work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Those'll work just fine. don't sweat using rebar unless you're doing something where consistency counts. Tongs are perfect rebar projects as are log dogs, tent stakes garden lamp stands,  plant hangers and such.

Don't worry about how it takes a quench from heat treating temperature, don't let your tongs get to red heat and it isn't a factor. cool em every now and then, I keep my quench bucket close for the tongs not the work.

Frosty The Lucky.

cheers for all the suggestions guys.

made a couple more

14mm round bar

post-47713-0-81571200-1385127616_thumb.j

post-47713-0-99671500-1385127631_thumb.j

post-47713-0-24071300-1385127652_thumb.j

Burkey on you second photo you should put a grove down the center of you tongs it will help you hold square and round stock

I already have a set of wolf jaw tongs for that, I'm making another set with longer jaws next, those will have to be rebar for the size of the jaws I want, I don't have anymore round bar stock.