I Forge Iron

Yes you can, I never heard about losing densirty in metal.  Why dont you read a bit before burning steel?

Start with the pinned topic above this one,  called new knife maker, maybe the topic called Knife making classes should be an area to look at also.

OK the best first advice on bladesmithing is:  LEARN TO SMITH FIRST!  Don't be messing up good bladesteel because you do not have hammer and temperature control.  The analogy I generally use is Learn to drive a car before you start worrying about racing one.

If you are around here let me know and I can show you some of the tricks as you get skilled enough to be able to use them.

Adman,

Steve and Thomas made good points about reading up on the topic.  Lots of stuff becomes less murky when you understand the principles of moving metal.  Drawing out, upsetting, punching/ drifting, bending, riveting and welding are the basic operations - there are many techniques applicable to each one depending on what you've got to work with and what you're trying to do.

Things get much more challenging when you're trying to change one dimension but not another.  Generally speaking, knives have lots of that situation going on which is one reason they're typically considered an advanced project.

A bevel may seem like a simple task - read the knife forging stickes and you'll see how much planning and forethought goes into the process of forging them in.  

Hi everyone, second day of smithing... Sort of. Can I get a short tutorial on how to hammer a bevel? I don't want to grind too much and lose density in the metal. Thanks!

as mentioned there is enough to reading here to keep you at your desk for months, however most of us would rather spend time in the shop...........hands-on is the best way imo, heat 'er up and giv'r , sure your gonna make mistakes and ruin steel like everyone on here has and still does............bevel away, enjoy and post some pics along the way !!