I Forge Iron

The water powered hammer

Hello i thought it will be intersting to show you these kind of shop in Ocevija  Varesh place (Bosnia and Herzegovina) its a litle bit southerly place than where i live.This shop is powered by water.Forge and all hammers.They said that this is last shop that work like this way in Europe.One first photo you ca see a power hammer and its frame.On second there si a fan that have mounted belt on it. And on last you can see entire place.

post-42120-0-79807600-1384173384_thumb.j

post-42120-0-35911400-1384173387_thumb.j

post-42120-0-01302500-1384173548_thumb.j

To me its conffusing because they said this is from mediveal time might  at Ottoman empire i dont know or its Ausrian-Hungary wich is not that important.But i ask myself when firs fan apeard in history.This fans are just like today blowers but they use only water power. This one is still workig like shop itself.They melt iron here too. I think they make living with this craft and  its village the working on farm agrocultural and these job culd make life better considering rate of unemployment in BIH 60% i think  these  are  reasons  why it is not closed like shop and maked mousem out of this place  these modern day.

De Re Metallica shows a lot of water powered bellows in 1556; but only the slightest beginning of a centrifugal fan for moving air in a mine.

Thank you for answer i check this book oneline it have a huge informations.About blacksmtih bellows a litle bit a woodworking.Tools i am ot sure how this book have pages but its a realy bigg book. http://www.scribd.com/doc/53481411/De-Re-Metallica-1556-Agricola

My copy of the Hoover translation has 638 pages.  Due to the large number of woodcuts this book is a major source of information on the 16th century technology.

As for schwanz hammers the beam has to be replaced at least every century and probably more like every 40 years so it's not "original" if it's still in use---sort of like the joke about my great great great great grandfather's axe, we've replaced the handle 22 times and the head 5 times but it's still *his* *axe*!

Lol i have some of tools from my gradfather that i use to said it's grandfather but when you change hadle it use it "spirit" like it use to be.But never tryed with repleacing head i guess i shoud try that too ;)  might that bring "spirit" of tool back.

I like that anvil in the second photo.  I love to scour youtube for videos of craftsmen working in the former eastern-bloc countries.  In a lot of instances, you can really get a look at how things were done in the past because they haven't changed anything in centuries.

I remember watching one smithing video (I posted it on IFI) that was shot in the old country and I was amazed at how the folks were still using smiths as part of their daily life.  

Thanks for the great photos, natkova.  

You are welcome.Its sadly to said in my country some old trade die.Like coopersmith or shoesmaker.And there are only two blacksmith around my city and in my vilage.The ussualy blacksmith is craft wich so earn from father.In my vilage there was 4 blacksmiths.Two brother now who had 2 sons.I heard that blacksmith had a lot's of work in past 20 century they had to make carroge wheels horshoeing.Now they just reapair some axe or sharpen it.