I Forge Iron

From cramp to drawknife

natkova

I have a two set of iron cramps.I wonder can they be converted to drawknife i mean they almoust have same shape. Only job i need to do is make blade on it .I was thinking could i do that job with rasp.Because at now i dont  have aveilable forge.The irond cramps as it look have  two tong made.To be more precisious what i think i will show you image.

post-42120-0-38138800-1384117208_thumb.j

I'm thinking what you call "cramps" is what we call "log dogs" intended to hold logs in position for working as in notching, or adzing. I think you'll be much farther ahead to find some spring steel to forge your draw knives.

You don't need welding heat, a bright orange will do and that can be reached in a camp fire with a little induced air.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't know wich it's steel.How you guys read (know) that stuff.If it is wood i will see a texture butt steel dont have some texture that you could say difference.Might i could hear when hit if its quenched or tempered but that's all i know about reading steel.Yes these are log dogs and it used to hold two timber in place at angle joint.

Exactly, spring steel makes pretty good knives and it's pretty forgiving in the heat treat. You can get the temperature a bit wrong, either hardening or tempering without ruining it.

Leaf spring is good steel and tempting but coil spring is just as good but can be easier to make some shapes from. In this case I'd try coil sprig, it's round bar when straightened so is less work to draw the tangs (handle sections) and the blade doesn't require a lot of forging.

Leaf spring on the other hand lets you rough form the draw knife by hot cutting it with a chisel or cold cutting with a hacksaw. Then you can finish shaping it at the forge. Harden and temper and do the final grinding.

Draw knives are good early knife projects. They are best for removing bark and don't need to have top quality edge holding quality. You can make good functional tools while you learn to heat treat properly.

Frosty The Lucky.

Many old scythe blades were made from low carbon steel and had the edges hammered out to make them tougher/harder.  Those would not make a good drawknife. 

Remember that folding and welding usually DECREASES the carbon content!  That is how the Japanese swordmakers get from almost 2% carbon to 0.5% C for their blades.

A car coil spring is what I suggest too.

I was thinking  that it will make carbon procent bigger but man learn as he live.So can old sycthe blade use for somehing.I have it i was thinking if not folding steel can Toe of sycthe blade could be made in somkind blade.

Can you make it into something?  Sure.  I wouldn't rush to come up with a project, though.  Most smiths have a hoard of parts and pieces, a pile of scrap metal just waiting for a project to come along.  Hold on to the scythe blade and it will come in handy for something someday....