I Forge Iron

Jack hammer

Air tools like chipping hammers, muffler guns, riveters, etc. are often used for hot work but only on a specific task that needs only a short rapid tool stroke to drive a top tool.  Think of setting a rivet or incising with a chisel.  Power hammers for blacksmithing tend to have a much longer stroke that can accommodate both changing material thickness and tooling.  They also have a guide system that keeps the dies well aligned.  

I'm sure it can be done and done well with a good bit of work, just not something I'd take on, please show us photos if you try.  

Close to two decades ago there was a write up on the web about doing that; 2 different people doing it two different ways.

Big problem is that the throw of a jackhammer isn't much so you have to have a system to keep it in contact with the work.

Also the jackhammer is not designed to be held rigidly, (as the write up said it depended on the belly of the user hanging over it as I recall)  The author used heavy springs to allow it to have some freedom.

So it could be done and would probably be a LOT more work than building one of the common pneumatic or mechanical designs and not work as well.

I built a C frame for my powerful .680 round shank chipping hammer and it worked after a fashion. After I used it for awhile I decided that everything I was doing in it (and more)could be done far easier, with more control in my 100lb air hammer........The C frame now rusts in peace.

I have used pneumatic hammers fitted with chisels to slit bars. They work slick when used in one position on a stationary item. Not sure how well the would perform if you were moving the piece. Some welding procedures peen between weld passes using a modified hammer form. Some of the repousse workers use air hammers as well.

Peter